we're off to the show (updated)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: we're off to the show (updated)

Defaultwe're off to the show (updated)

well, to starbucks, and to pick up my moral support (mom), and then to get humiliated at the GSD show.

They're in for a treat, though. i'll bet they've never seen a rare purebred polar, grass eating labrador retriever kind of perform rally obedience (while eating grass).

UPDATE:

It was awful.

Totally awful. Purina Farms (where the show was) thought it was a good idea to spread manure over the grass rings earlier this week. So all the dogs (even the RAE dogs) were doing crazy stuff- like rolling, and doing the entire course with their noses in the ground.

We got into the ring. I asked her to sit. She laid down. The judge said "this is going to be rough isn't it?"

I got her to heel into a 270 right. She then proceeded to alligator death roll in whatever smelled so good (remember AngusFangus and Henrey's alligator death roll?).

I then turned to the judge, said "I'm sorry, I don't want a ten month old dog thinking this is okay behavior. Would you please excuse us?"

She told me it was the right decision and marked us down as "overheated". We then went and practiced outside the ring and went home.

Oh well. We'll try again, inside, in June.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: we're off to the show

Good luck and have fun!!! Remember to breath!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: we're off to the show

Good luck!! Have lots of fun and post an update when you get home for those of us sitting here crossing our fingers

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: we're off to the show (updated)

bump for update

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you kept your wits about you and did the right thing. Better luck next month.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I had no idea Gabby was only 10mths old. I really give you kudos - you did great and handled that really well. We have a 19mth old lab in our obedience class and he is still just so goofy. Moose is goofy, but he still does what I want just in such a goofy way about him. Dakota the other night was really misbehaving. Every time during the recall he would run to someones bag looking for food instead of going to his owner - she laughed it off rather well.

If you can get thru this while gabby is so young you are going to really great!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Yeah- I'm really, really proud of her for being so good at so young of an age. She was driving me batty today with grass eating and rolling, but she's a baby and a goober.

We're going to try again inside in June. It should go better

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Great decision! That is terrible what they did to the grounds right before a show, but I'm sure it did not even cross their minds. That really was really good thinking and handling on your part.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Oh well! It happens. I've gone to several shows where the OB or rally ring is in a horse arena, so even without spreading anything, the place is very fragrant. Unfortunately, it's all part of the joy of working with dogs. You never know what they are going to do or how they will react. Just don't let it get you down and keep at it.

Aw, shucks! Better luck in June. I didn't know either that Gabby was only 10 months old!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast