Obedience jump heights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obedience jump heights

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience jump heights

Hopefully Moose and I will finish his Rally Novice title at our next show in early June. So I have been thinking about what I really need to start working on so we can move up to Advanced. Definately off lead (he is a little sloppy right now) and I would think the jump.

What is the height of the jump or how is it determined? I thought I'd try to get SU to build something so I could start working on this at home some, but I have no clue what the height should be, or should it be adjustable? Would it be the same for Obedience as well?
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience jump heights

If you have not gotten one yet, a great thing to have is an obedience rulebook--it has all you need to know for competition as well as dimensions for the jumps.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Jump height is based on the dog's height at the withers to the closest full inch "even" number increment (10, 12, 14, etc). So, for example:

if the dog is 20.5" it will jump 20"
    if the dog is 21.5" it will jump 22"
    if the dog is 21" he can jump 20" or 22"

Broad jump is 2x the bar/high jump height. So if the dog jumps 20" bar/high it will jump a 40" broadjump.

There are exceptions to these rules for specific breeds but Labs aren't one of them.

Also, something else to think about to help you decide jump heights is that there are 4 boards used in the broadjump. Heights (or widths in this case) under 24" use 2 boards. 24"-under 48" use 3 boards. 48"+ use 4 boards. (The easiest way to remember how many boards for each height is 24" equals 2 feet which equals 2 boards (2-2-2), 48" equals 4 feet which equals 4 boards (4-4-4). Everything in between equals 3 boards.)

If you have a dog that would have to jump 44" (that would be 22" high jump), that would only use 3 boards with a HUGE gap (5") in between each board. Dogs are more likely to walk the BJ in that case because of the large gap so many people opt to have the dog jump 24/48" so the dog will have 4 boards with narrow space (4") in between. You wouldn't think that the 1" difference in the gap would make a difference but it does for some dogs.

Does that make sense?

Be thankful you are competing in obedience now instead of years ago when the dogs had to jump 1 1/2 times their height. Murray would have had to jump 36" and 72"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I think adjustable is the best. If you ask around in your training club, there might be someone locally making nice-quality jumps. We have a local guy who makes nice sets of jumps for a very reasonable price. Also, for training purposes, you can use jumps that are only 3 feet wide (easier to haul and store); the dogs don't seem to care when they have to transition to wider jumps at competitions.

Two of my training buddies have really cool (read "lightweight") jump set ups.

One used wooden dowels with holes drilled in at the correct heights, then she puts screws in the ends to stick in the ground and to stick in at the height level for the cross bar. The high jump is built the same way but she sewed a piece of fabric with a pocket to slip over the cross bar. The bottom of the fabric has a little loop on each side to loop over the screws that go in the ground to keep the fabric from flying up in a wind storm. I think both jumps weight about 1 lb total. ;D

My other friend used styrofoam for her high jump boards. How ingenious is that?! EXTREMELY lightweight and cheap. She uses some crafting styrofoam that has a hard back and front for her broadjump. You just cut into the hard backing and bend the boards to make them stand up. Again...very ingenious. Of course these type of jumps will not take a beating so probably not the best for a new dog just learning.

I made all of my jumps from PVC. I used modified directions from http://www.hickorytech.net/~chchiud/obedequi.htm The site uses 3/4" pvc which is over kill in my book. I used 1/2". I also modified the bottom of my jump so that it is quicker to put up/take down by myself. I'll see if I can remember to take a picture and post it.

Actually I'm training with my buddies this weekend so I could maybe get pictures of everyones jumps to give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    I think adjustable is the best. If you ask around in your training club, there might be someone locally making nice-quality jumps. We have a local guy who makes nice sets of jumps for a very reasonable price. Also, for training purposes, you can use jumps that are only 3 feet wide (easier to haul and store); the dogs don't seem to care when they have to transition to wider jumps at competitions.
    Just to add on to this- if you need jumps made- you can call tack stores (horses) or barns. I currently train Gabby on weekends at my best friends hunter jumper barn. She already has the jumps set up, she doesn't care, and there are built in distractions.

Usually there are local suppliers for the barns for the jumps

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Lydia - you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for the website. My SU is incredibly handy if I can get him focused on me vs his thing. I think I have some good data to get it started.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Make sure you do have a set of obedience and rally rules and go over them periodically. A lot of basic questions can be answered in there. I always have my rules with me. If you don't know the rules you don't know when there has been a mistake.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

If you are speaking of Rally jump heights, they are lower than traditional obedience.

Under 15" jump 8"
    15" and under 20" jump 12"
    20" and over jump 16"

Broad jump twice the jump height

I built my heavy wooden jumps acording to the instructions in the AKC rule book for about $100 (including paint) getting everything at Home Depot. A trick to making the high jump is to add a couple of stripsof roofing felt (you can usually get it for free from construction sites as they throw away strips bigger than you will neeed) to the inner spacer board. This gives you enough space to have your removable boards slide easily. If you want light and movable (if you are gonna go practice at a park then get some of the plastic PVC style jumps from like Max200 or J&J dog supplies. The three foot set is great for practice.

Kelly and Amber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast