4 seconds short of a Q
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 seconds short of a Q

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Default4 seconds short of a Q

My little tunnel man was at it again today. Showed in Bluffton at an AKC trial. Remington was in Novice Standard and Novice Jumpers. In both classes he delighted the crowd by doing the tunnel on his back, all four feet punching and kicking as he rolled around inside. The googball!

We would have Q'd in Jumpers except it took me too long to get him out of the tunnel. (over the course time by 4 seconds).

BUT, our goal was to keep him on course and in the ring, so we succeeded

Ruger had a great Jumpers course but refused the weaves THREE times and then did them slow as molasses. He needs just one Open leg to get his title.
    In Excellent Standard he was really off, running way behind me and again refusing the weaves. I am really beginning to think he's getting close to retirement, he just doesn't want to play the games anymore. I'm going to have my vet do a full work-up on him as well this spring just in case something is going on that we can get a handle on.

All in all a good day though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Glad you had a good day

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Ruger is the one that has the eye troubles?
    I bet there's a link...

Congrats on the "PQ" (personal q) they're the best kind of q

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Remington certainly sounds like he has fun in the ring I bet there might be a connection between Ruger and his eye problems too. Always a good time out with the doggies though.

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

I retired my 5year old chocolate girl last February for the same type of behavior. We are one leg short of her jumpers excellent title. I was devestated. I kept doing agility with my little aussie and prepared her to show. Maddie was not allowed to do agility. I felt she had made her choice. When I moved in August to AZ, I decided to try another class with her. She was phenomenal. Fast and motivated. Couldn't wait to do agility. Still in AKC competition she had trouble with the weaves. It was suggested I try a venue that allowed me to train in the ring. I have done that. I get her super pumped before we run and when she does the weaves in the ring, major party. Each day is three runs. Last show she qualified all three times and had a jumpers run of 20 seconds beating out all of the border collies. We are working on having fun. AKC is so rigid that it made me lose what I love most about this sport....having fun with my dog. I am also developing a different relationship with the weaves. It sounds like Remington had fun!!!!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Nice about Rem! Whoo hoo! Maybe he's growing up!

Remember Lydia pulled Murray for almost a year of competition. When she brought him back he was all charged and ready to go. Maybe he needs a vacation. I do agree about doing the full work-up to make sure there is nothing going on physically.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I really don't think it's physical because at home he runs like a maniac and jumps straight up in the air, I'm talking 10 feet sometimes, after his ball.

At shows he's super hyper outside of the ring, so much so that it's a bit annoying (he gets barky) and then when we enter the ring, he turns the on switch off. I'm truly baffled.

I do show him in other venues. We do USDAA and CPE. And we do all our agility for FUN, I am Miss Fun Handler out there, so there's no reason for his behavior.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That is true, Linda. He is pretty excited outside the ring. Maybe give him some time off. Although you can't show as much as some of us because of the lack of shows in your area. Interesting.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

That's my feeling too. I don't show a lot to begin with!

I've already decided at our trial in April I'm only going to enter him in the JWW class, not in Excellent Standard. Tired of throwing away money I don't have (not that its really thrown away as we always have fun, but you know what I mean).

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Linda maybe what you are seeing is over arousal or a stress reaction. Sometimes it can look similar to excitement. Have you tried any calming techniques with him. Just a thought. I think you are a member at the agileateach board also, right? Maybe you can pose this question here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast