need help with moving down

Thread: need help with moving down

Defaultneed help with moving down

I hate this exercise :-\

I've been working with her by doing a "down" command and then a treat between the legs followed by collar pressure. When there is the treat, she folds nicely back. However, if she is not baited down, she "curls" around me and then lies down. It is a very slooooowwww down. I could probably count to fifteen in the time it takes her to down.

My trainer insists that it is a respect issue and wants to use harsher corrections for this- but I'm not sure it is. I'm seeing a lot of apprehensive behaviors when I ask for the moving down- tongue flicking, ears back, etc- and I really don't want to use firm corrections unless she knows the behavior I'm asking for.

How did you all teach the moving down? Do you have any suggestions for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: need help with moving down

HA HA HA Good question. Maddy hates going down. I attribute it to elbow issues rather than "respect" issues. I don't know about the judges in your area, but I saw my first Moving Down in a real trial this weekend. Our judges around here don't use them much. The one that judged us this weekend also wasn't that picky either. Maddy certainly doesn't do the nice Down from Stand like you have surely seen some nicely trained dogs do. She kind of hunkers into a low sit, and then drops. I think as long as you can get her into down from stand without an OBVIOUS pause into a sit first, you should be fine.

Yeah, with Gabby's hip and back issues- plus the fact I'm a rookie at this and she's only 11 months- I'm very reluctant to chalk this up to "respect" issues.

I've seen it in once- but my trainer said to expect it. I think she's making a big deal out of it, but I know she's right in that our moving down does um, need work,

Hopefully, they won't put it on the course this weekend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I can only tell you how I've gotten my dogs to downs on command and that is just by doing it over and over. They don't eat unless they go into a down or sit. I alternate this so that they are solid on the command. When out walking I will issue the down command once or twice during the walk. This really helped with the moving down. They couldn't continue on the walk unless they went down.

Both of mine are down quite realible on this command, but they both do it very differently. Sky goes into a beautiful straight sphinx like down without any help. Moose lumbers into his down with kind of a thud. I had to put my foot out to keep him from coming around the front of me. Now he pretty much stays at my side.

I hope this helps! I have to say that I am really fortunate to have the class/teacher that I have. We work on everything from Rally to UD type exercises. Everything builds on itself and it has really helped me a lot!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog
    IMoose lumbers into his down with kind of a thud. I had to put my foot out to keep him from coming around the front of me. Now he pretty much stays at my side.
    This is what she does! It's slllloooww and lumbering.

patm is offline Senior Member

Emilu's moving down isn't as clean as I'd like to see, but it is a work in progress. She also tended to come around almost in front of me as she did it. I countered that by taking a step almost in front of her and giving her the command. But you can't do this in a show, so now I keep my feet in place but lean my body over and give her a real clear vocal and hand command. (pointing right down to the ground). Repeat,repeat,repeat........

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Use your left hand to signal the down to encourage them not to be in your path. Make the moving down a game and release quickly. We use toys, balls and food.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo