Did I mention......

Thread: Did I mention......

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultDid I mention......

I swore I'd never do this, and I'm not sure I really want to- but I am helping out with a "basic manners" class the next 4 weeks at least. I really don't feel qualified to teach people about how to train their dogs - I only seem to know how to train MY dog (and then don't always do such a great job), but they were begging for people to help with classes. Seems like they only have about 2 obedience instructors left in the club, and they want to get some people up to speed to at least do the beginners classes. So I said I'd help out. The instructor is a gal in Emilu's class, and it's the first time she as taught a class - but she did a nice job the first night, when only the people meet. This Thursday we get to meet the dogs! I took Skippy last week (Emilu can't go for 2 weeks cuz of her surgery). He sat or laid nicely by me during the class (really behaved better than Emilu around the other dogs), but I'm not sure how he'd be if I put him in a crate while Emilu was in class ( I was thinking about taking him to basic obedience which starts up in 4 weeks)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Did I mention......

At this point you all ready know a lot more than most people, Pat. You'll do fine!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I agree, Pat. Think of the average person who comes in off the streets. You KNOW you know more about training than they do! It's just a beginner's class.

I feel like I could teach beginner's class, but my problem is being shy to speak in front of groups. :-[ But I have assisted a LOT, and it's no problem at all. That's always just one-on-one with people, listening to them, trying to help one dog/owner at at a time. I think you'll do fine.

Do they give you a break on classes for assisting?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I probably get some "points" which can be used for classes, etc. Our classes are only about 2.50 a night, so it's not much at all. (for members) But I hadn't really thought about it - I'll have to check. I just need to start thinking in "instructor mode". I know that I always said if I did ever teach a class, that I would say at least 2 good things each night about the dog and the owner. Our club is short on praise.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I just need to start thinking in "instructor mode". I know that I always said if I did ever teach a class, that I would say at least 2 good things each night about the dog and the owner. Our club is short on praise.
    When I have someone coming on staff I actually have them come and observe for an 8 week session and view it from an instructor's point of view rather than student. One of my now present staff members didn't want to do it but after his first week of observing, he was amazed at what a difference in perspective. DUH!

I also tell my staff to praise each person and dog during the coarse of the night--they all do something worthy of praise. And before class go and say hi to each dog--cause they are that person's "baby" and everyone loves to have their dog fussed over.

You're all ready thinking that way Pat!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org