Angus was perfect in class tonight

Thread: Angus was perfect in class tonight

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus was perfect in class tonight

Of course he was...because nobody was getting scored on it. :

Seriously, we had a good class tonight. We just started Level 4...this is the second time he's taken it. Our club only goes as high as four for novice. They have the occasional Open and Utility class, but most people train on their own for those. So, once you reach this point, you just take Level 4 over and over. :P

Anyway, the instructor we took privates from is going to teach again, but he was out of town tonight, so we got Miss Jean, the training director. She's also the lady who keeps the boys when we go out of town.

SO! She decided to just do run-throughs and critiques for everyone. Angus was SO GOOD! A little laggy on about turns and outside on the Figure Eight (did I say "laggy" and "Angus" in the same paragraph?) But otherwise, it was hard to criticize.

I have decided everything with Angus is all my fault (Your cue to say, "DUH!") He does so well in class. People comment on how well he does. People who have been doing this for a LONG time. People who know what good is.

His problem is this: He knows when we go to class, it's on. He knows at home, it's on. He doesn't understand that it can be on anywhere, anytime. This is my fault. Not expecting enough of him in novel places.

If I can get him used to turning on at will, anywhere, anytime...there will be no stopping him.

Sigh.

You know, when I got into this, I had NO IDEA it would be this much work! :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Angus was perfect in class tonight

Way to go, Angus!!

You're doing great with him, Connie!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear class was good! Yes, it is work, but fun work!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the world of dog training. ;D

Do you take him to parks, Petsmart, malls, etc to practice? This will help alot. Also, wean off treats and verbal praise while going thru the exercises. Give a jackpot of treats and praise after each run so he learns that the reward will come at the end, not during. Now with Rally you CAN chit chat thru the course but dogs quickly become dependent on this so you need to wean off of it ASAP because you won't be able to do it in traditional obedience.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

dogs quickly become dependent on this so you need to wean off of it ASAP because you won't be able to do it in traditional obedience.
    so do the handlers When I did the rally novice and pre-novice for obedience that was one of my biggest challengs - keeping my mouth shut! I was glad I did pre-novice for that reason.

I was going to ask if you train outside with Angus. Does your club have any club training days that are outside where you can work around distractions while outside? Would be easier if you knew what made him bolt - how to work on what you don't know.

Another thought - do you work with Angus on a flat collar? Maybe try using a designated training collar - something he only wears when training so that when you put it on he will realize he needs to work. Maybe that will help with going into the ring. Just a thought.

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Lydia, yes, that's exactly what I need to start doing. I have been terrible about training at different times and locations :-\ It's a wonder he's able to generalize to new locations at all!

Sharon, very weird you would say that about the collars...I heard the same thing this week from one of our instructors (Simon's new Level 3 instructor). She said that having a "going to work" collar was like changing into work clothes for them. They knew the difference, and that meant it was time to be "on."

And oh my no, we don't do ANYTHING on a flat collar! LMBO!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

You know, when I got into this, I had NO IDEA it would be this much work!
    Boy ain't that the truth ;D