Monday I started both Moose & Sky in comp prep classes back to back

Thread: Monday I started both Moose & Sky in comp prep classes back to back

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultMonday I started both Moose & Sky in comp prep classes back to back

And boy was I exhausted. I could not believe how tired I was and didn't realize how much we use our backs! I could probably stand to relax a little more in class.

Sky did really well, but she is so hard to train. She has that beaten look all of the time! But she has started to get the left finish and I'm working on the right a lot with her. She just doesn't want to go around behind me. My instructor told me she thought Sky could also get her rally novice title, but not without know finishes! I think if I can work thru this she will actually be much more solid than Moose with obedience. Just a little more challenging!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Monday I started both Moose & Sky in comp prep classes back to back

She'll get it. It was the last thing that Hudler learned and he managed. Once she kinda gets the hang of it, she might be ready. Maddy isn't really proofed on 2 of the excellent exercises, and a friend of mine who also judges, said that we should just go and try it anyway. We could actually end up with a course that doesn't have the 2 bad exercises and still get our Q!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

2 bad exercises
    so which ones are they?

I know it would be the food for Moose and the toys for Sky. We are also a long ways from teaching back. He does okay when we are next to a wall, but then we step away and he turns that butt out! At least I know what I do have to work on.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

She's totally unreliable on her moving-stand-stay and the 3 steps in reverse heeling.

But then again, she hates down and the moving down in Novice was a tough one too, and we only saw it once...in a match!

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Maddy isn't really proofed on 2 of the excellent exercises, and a friend of mine who also judges, said that we should just go and try it anyway. We could actually end up with a course that doesn't have the 2 bad exercises and still get our Q!
    I don't know if I agree with that statement. There are only 4 new signs for Excellent (plus the honor). I highly doubt you'll ever see a course that dosen't have 1 or both of those excercises on it. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an excellent course w/o the back up 3 steps.

On the plus side though, all you have to do is "attempt" the exercise and you'll only lose 10 pts. If she does it half way decent you may only get 1-3 pts off for out of position. Swinging her butt out on the back up 3 steps would depend on the angle of the butt. If she is so far out of position that she is now facing you it will be 10 pts (possibly an NQ depending on the judge). If she is out at a 45 degree angle it will only be a couple of pts. Everything else is somewhere in between.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That sounds like Angus and Simon Sharon!

Angus is so much quicker than Simon. He picks up any new exercise really fast. Simon take a little longer, and he too can have a bit of a "beaten" look...but he is worlds more reliable than Angus.

Back to back classes - PHEW! Yeah, for a while there I would assist a class, then take a class with one of the boys. It IS exhausting! But fun too I'm glad Sky is getting a chance to shine as well. I bet she surprises you and becomes your "Steady Eddie" (what I like to call Simon).

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I want a "Steady Eddie" - but instead I have a "Freaky Zekey" :P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure