Opinion of E-collars?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion of E-collars?

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpinion of E-collars?

I'm probably opening a can of worms, but I was curious. What do people think about using an e-collar to enforce off-leash commands and training?

ETA: I'm not thinking of using one, I was just curious about them.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

I have used them and like the results I have gotten with them. But then again, I probably never would have tried if I hadn't had a trainer who did hunt tests and field trials and was able to train ME correctly.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I use one but only because I decided to try training for hunt tests. My trainer and her husband are both competing in hunt tests and field trials with their dogs and I felt comfortable letting them teach and guide me. I am still learning and think e-collar programs by Evan Graham and Mike Lardy are excellent for learning about e-collar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I don't know much about them or how to use them, but I'm really thinking getting one for Miss Emilu and blast her everytime she so much as LOOKS at another dog in class! (didn't post about the little dog fight she started the other night in class when an exuberant Golden went after a squeaky toy that Emilu was supposed to be ignoring >)

Ecollars are just another training tool...neither good nor bad. They do require proper training to be useful...just as other tools do.
    They can be abused...just as other tools can.

I've been training Murray with an ecollar for 4 yrs (everything from basic obedience to agility and utility). If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I don't know much about them or how to use them, but I'm really thinking getting one for Miss Emilu and blast her everytime she so much as LOOKS at another dog in class!
    AGGHHH!!!! I really hope you are kidding!! All that will do is make her want to attack the dog. She needs to understand what the collar means. You can't just put one on her and start zapping away.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I PMed you.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I don't know much about them or how to use them, but I'm really thinking getting one for Miss Emilu and blast her everytime she so much as LOOKS at another dog in class!
    AGGHHH!!!! I really hope you are kidding!! All that will do is make her want to attack the dog. She needs to understand what the collar means. You can't just put one on her and start zapping away.

Yes, they are just another training tool neither good or bad but depends on how they are used. I know many people who would use nothing else and others who would not dream of it and they all have nice working dogs. Each dog is different, each trainer is different.

Pat, I would not use one on her for that. You might want to try some clicker training to redirect her attention. We did that with a dog that is totally dog aggressive so when she wanted to look or go after another dog and she looked at her "Mom" she would get a click and rewarded for looking at Kelly thus breaking the attention off the dog she wanted to go after.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

No,No,No!!! Of course I was just kidding! I would never do that (cuz like I said, I have know idea how they are used) - it's just one of those things that you only think about when you're a little frustrated with them. Remember - Emilu is the "spoiled dog" in obedience because I have a hard time even correcting her, and won't do the ear pinch - so I don't think I would have it in me to "shock her". I have been working a lot on just getting her to look at me when she starts to give "that look" to another dog (and treating her when she does). She's been better, but I realize that her "prey drive" is much higher than I knew and this influences her actions.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

No,No,No!!! Of course I was just kidding! I would never do that (cuz like I said, I have know idea how they are used) - it's just one of those things that you only think about when you're a little frustrated with them. Remember - Emilu is the "spoiled dog" in obedience because I have a hard time even correcting her, and won't do the ear pinch - so I don't think I would have it in me to "shock her". I have been working a lot on just getting her to look at me when she starts to give "that look" to another dog (and treating her when she does). She's been better, but I realize that her "prey drive" is much higher than I knew and this influences her actions.
    Pat, is there a holistic vet in your area? Sometimes some "aggression" issues can be related to vaccines. Just a thought. She's such a sweet girl. Plus the reading I have done is that aggressive tendencies due to reactions to vaccines is a lot more common that originally thought. Just an idea.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I use an ecollar on all my dogs. I am following Evan Graham and Mike Lardy in using it for hunt training. For distance work, for me, there is no other subsitute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast