Opinion of E-collars?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Opinion of E-collars?

  1. #1
    ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    488

    DefaultOpinion of E-collars?

    I'm probably opening a can of worms, but I was curious. What do people think about using an e-collar to enforce off-leash commands and training?






    ETA: I'm not thinking of using one, I was just curious about them.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Canyon Labradors's Avatar
    Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,575

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    I have used them and like the results I have gotten with them. But then again, I probably never would have tried if I hadn't had a trainer who did hunt tests and field trials and was able to train ME correctly.

  4. #3
    Tatyana is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,503

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    I use one but only because I decided to try training for hunt tests. My trainer and her husband are both competing in hunt tests and field trials with their dogs and I felt comfortable letting them teach and guide me. I am still learning and think e-collar programs by Evan Graham and Mike Lardy are excellent for learning about e-collar.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    patm's Avatar
    patm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    8,657

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    I don't know much about them or how to use them, but I'm really thinking getting one for Miss Emilu and blast her everytime she so much as LOOKS at another dog in class! (didn't post about the little dog fight she started the other night in class when an exuberant Golden went after a squeaky toy that Emilu was supposed to be ignoring >)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,187

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    Ecollars are just another training tool...neither good nor bad. They do require proper training to be useful...just as other tools do.
    They can be abused...just as other tools can.

    I've been training Murray with an ecollar for 4 yrs (everything from basic obedience to agility and utility). If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help answer them.

    Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I don't know much about them or how to use them, but I'm really thinking getting one for Miss Emilu and blast her everytime she so much as LOOKS at another dog in class!
    AGGHHH!!!! I really hope you are kidding!! All that will do is make her want to attack the dog. She needs to understand what the collar means. You can't just put one on her and start zapping away.


  8. #6
    ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    488

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    I PMed you.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

  9. #7
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I don't know much about them or how to use them, but I'm really thinking getting one for Miss Emilu and blast her everytime she so much as LOOKS at another dog in class!
    AGGHHH!!!! I really hope you are kidding!! All that will do is make her want to attack the dog. She needs to understand what the collar means. You can't just put one on her and start zapping away.

    Yes, they are just another training tool neither good or bad but depends on how they are used. I know many people who would use nothing else and others who would not dream of it and they all have nice working dogs. Each dog is different, each trainer is different.

    Pat, I would not use one on her for that. You might want to try some clicker training to redirect her attention. We did that with a dog that is totally dog aggressive so when she wanted to look or go after another dog and she looked at her "Mom" she would get a click and rewarded for looking at Kelly thus breaking the attention off the dog she wanted to go after.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  10. #8
    patm's Avatar
    patm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    8,657

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    No,No,No!!! Of course I was just kidding! I would never do that (cuz like I said, I have know idea how they are used) - it's just one of those things that you only think about when you're a little frustrated with them. Remember - Emilu is the "spoiled dog" in obedience because I have a hard time even correcting her, and won't do the ear pinch - so I don't think I would have it in me to "shock her". I have been working a lot on just getting her to look at me when she starts to give "that look" to another dog (and treating her when she does). She's been better, but I realize that her "prey drive" is much higher than I knew and this influences her actions.

  11. #9
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    Quote Originally Posted by patm
    No,No,No!!! Of course I was just kidding! I would never do that (cuz like I said, I have know idea how they are used) - it's just one of those things that you only think about when you're a little frustrated with them. Remember - Emilu is the "spoiled dog" in obedience because I have a hard time even correcting her, and won't do the ear pinch - so I don't think I would have it in me to "shock her". I have been working a lot on just getting her to look at me when she starts to give "that look" to another dog (and treating her when she does). She's been better, but I realize that her "prey drive" is much higher than I knew and this influences her actions.
    Pat, is there a holistic vet in your area? Sometimes some "aggression" issues can be related to vaccines. Just a thought. She's such a sweet girl. Plus the reading I have done is that aggressive tendencies due to reactions to vaccines is a lot more common that originally thought. Just an idea.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,414

    DefaultRe: Opinion of E-collars?

    I use an ecollar on all my dogs. I am following Evan Graham and Mike Lardy in using it for hunt training. For distance work, for me, there is no other subsitute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25