Ethics Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethics Question

DefaultEthics Question

Is it ok to show to an obedience judge who trains at the same place I do? I entered a show because of its location and just realized who the judge is...

We have trained together for about 6 years, and he will know who I am. I don't train under him, we are both students...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ethics Question

I am no expert, but I think it's cool.

I showed recently under a lady from our club. It was Rally Advanced, and Angus Q'd, but if I had been the judge I'm not sure if I'd have been so generous.

However, she was no more generous with us than she was with others. She has a widespread reputation for kindness. She let another Lab start over when they began the course and thunderous applause broke out for a dog in another ring. It spooked the Lab, he bolted, and she started waving her arms and saying, "No, no no...do over." ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Yes it is ok as long as he is not YOUR instructor. Judges have to take classes too, ya know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I think it's fine.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't even know if it would be a problem if the person WERE your instructor. Heck, they might even be a harder judge on you if they KNEW you could do better! LOL

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

My trainer shows her dogs in UKC obedience. One of her students is a UKC obedience judge. That was never a problem as far as the rules go. There were a person or two who complained to other people when my trainer got high placements under this judge who is also her student. However, there was no basis (my trainer put four OTCH titles on four of her dogs, so she's really good) in those comments. But some people just get jealous.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes it is fine. If it were someone you were taking lessons from no--you would have to wait a year before you could show to them.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I have gotten help from a local judge. She does not charge anything so that we can show in front of her. I made the mistake of doing that one time, and she was TEN TIMES as hard on our performance ;D

Go for it. And have fun.

Yup! I'm going and I'll have fun!

We really have to work then, I don't want to embarrass our training club

Thanks guys, I was just worried it would put him in a place, and I obviously didn't want to ask him!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I have gotten help from a local judge. She does not charge anything so that we can show in front of her. I made the mistake of doing that one time, and she was TEN TIMES as hard on our performance ;D

Go for it. And have fun.

That's funny.. and oh so true! A friend of mine was hired as a last minute replacement for a rally trial a couple years ago. We ended up w/ a 99 in Nov B (my girl was 17 mos, so I was thrilled). She said later that she LOOKED and LOOKED to take a point off because she would NOT give me a perfect score and make it look like she was favoring me (brat!). :

What was funny was when she admitted it-- a couple days later, a judge gave my same dog a 100 to finish her RN and scowled at the steward when handing the paperwork over that "THAT was my FIRST perfect 100". Everyone else still gripes that she's a nasty hard judge to show under, and get mad if I tell them that story, hehe 8)

I would fully expect to be judged harder by someone who knows you, but I doubt they'll be unfair either. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast