agility weekend

Thread: agility weekend

Defaultagility weekend

Last trial of the season and Murray FINALLY decides he wants to play agility. : He was ON all weekend. We finished with 5 Qs, finished 1 title, and we're 2/3rds of the way to 2 more titles. I picked up all our ribbons but didn't write on them what ribbon was for which class or dog so I have no idea what our actual placements were but I was VERY happy.

Murray can now add TN-N after his name and the next time we play (next fall before they offer specials again) maybe we can finish our Open tunnelers (2/3 legs) and Open touch-n-go (2/3 legs).

Meghan's goal for the weekend was to work on Essy's attitude in the ring. Essy is extremely sensitive so she shuts down if she makes a mistake (shutting down some times means sniffing/ignoring/avoiding, running to the judge/stewards, or peeing/pooping in the ring). Basically it's avoidance behavior. Meghan did a terrific job keeping Essy motivated this weekend. They ran clean all 4 runs on Sat but didn't make time. Today they were clean on both tunnelers runs but didn't make time (last runs of the day). Essy was full of herself on the touch-n-go runs. They ran early this morning. She was feeling good, butt tucking all over and she blew a couple of contacts on each run. > Hey...at least she got on the dang dog walk so we're calling it a win. ;D She wouldn't even attempt the dog walk at the last trial. The touch-n-go courses were TOUGH. Lots of obstacle discrimination and even some layering. They soldiered thru it though it with some creative handling and I was very proud of both of them.

Oh yeah...Meghan has been officially initiated into the world of agility. Essy took her out at one of the tunnels. At the last possible second, Essy darted in front of Meghan and tripped her. As Meghan was falling, she shoved Essy out of the way. Meghan landed hard on her butt on top of one of the tunnel screws. OUCH! She got back up and finished the course but she was hurting pretty good. She has a nice trophy bruise for her efforts. I'm not sure if she'll be showing that trophy off or not.

~edited~ I've got our official results. Murray finished with three 2nds, four 3rds, and one 4th. Essy finished with two 3rds and two 4ths

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: agility weekend

I am sooooooooooo glad to hear that Murray did well in agility! Congrats on all the Q's!

I would hope Meghan would not show off that trophy!!! ;D
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I'm exhausted reading thru all you both did! So glad Murray has turned things around, and in a big way it sounds.

Hope Meghan wasn't too disapointed and sore.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wow, what a weekend! It sounds like Murray did so great! And Essy too. Simon had a little dog walk fear last year after he had an incident on the teeter. :-\ I can't imagine, at this point, him being able to do either reliably in a trial.

Great udpate! Thanks for writing!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Congrads on all the Q's. What a wonderful weekend. NADAC trial?

Quote Originally Posted by agilitymom
    NADAC trial?
    Yes it was a NADAC trial. NADAC used to be my most favorite venue because they had long flowing courses where the dogs could really stride out and run. That's Murray's forte. He can cover a lot of ground on the flat but it takes a lot to be able to zig zag that body around a tight course. Now Sharon has changed all the games so much that they pretty much cater to the BC crowd (tight cramped courses with a zillion turns). > They are even worse than the AKC course for that now. The specials are about the only games left where the dogs can still just flat out run.

It seems to me that every venue is catering to the border collie crowd. I would love it if they would have their own class. When I was going to get a new agility pup the people at my club couldn't believe that I would want another lab.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Lydia - What a fabulous weekend you all had. How wonderful to wrap up the season with so much success.
    Congratulations to all of you. Sounds like Meaghan had a good time even though there was almost a colision.
    I've tripped over Shamrock too many times to count but so far only once in a trial, thank goodness. And good for Meaghan for finishing the course after her spill - that takes courage and determination no matter what the age of the handler. And Hurray for Murray - he must have been grinning from ear to ear. I've never tried NADAC - sounds like it could be fun. The AKC courses have so many turns now. A fellow from our dog club who is a provisional AKC judge was showing us a Novice course he designed and then the course with the changes required by the AKC. It was so much harder - maybe OK at the Excellent level but I think Novice should be challenging but do-able for a novice handler and dog so that they want to continue. Too many NQ's take all the joy out of it but that increased difficulty is so apparent in AKC today. Again - kudos for a great weekend. Betsy
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, what a weekend you guys had! Glad to hear Murray is back in fine form, and also happy that Essy is doing a good job of it!! Congrats on the title and placements.

I can only imagine how much your entry fee was