The World's Fastest NQ!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World's Fastest NQ!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe World's Fastest NQ!

Crosspost in LC:

Kevin and I were talking before Angus' Rally run today. I was telling him, 'The course is really easy, it's fairly quiet, not a lot of dogs. But, you never know: Even when you think it's a cakewalk, Angus can always come up with a new challenge..."

Oh, but I couldn't have even dreamed of this! No, no...this took failure to new heights. Seriously.

We were warming up. It was an outside venue, our first time to compete outside, so obviously I hand my hands full getting his attention. At first it seemed to be going terribly, as it usually does. But after about five minutes he was rocking and rolling.

There were only two other dogs in his class. I knew one of them - another Lab. A *very* lethargic Lab. A Lab he can run circles around in Rally. The other was a Whippet I didn't know, but Kevin said she was equally not into it. All he had to do was Q, and we'd have a ribbon. And honestly, he had a very, very good shot at first.

We walked into the ring. He was a little wavery, but then I got his attention. I have it on video. He is watching me beautifullly, head up, eyes looking into mine. The judge asked, "Are you ready?"

"Ready!"

I took one step and he whipped his head around backwards, leaped to his feet and turned and ran from the ring.

Game over!

That was my face, seriously:

I think I am still in shock. I honestly cannot believe that happened. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Angus, dude, that really sucked. >

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The World's Fastest NQ!

Oh Connie - I'm so sorry! Do you know what he saw or heard?

I can imagine a outside venue must be hard if you are not used to it. All of our training is outside as well as the trials.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Sharon, I have no idea what it was about. ??? I've watched the tape over and over, and I cannot figure it out. He just turned his head around, something caught his fancy, and he was gone.

:'( > ???

I don't know what to do with him. I think the answer is nothing until I cool off. :

Connie and "The Boys":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry ............ I stewarded for Rally yesterday and today .............. we had one dog almost leave the ring and a couple others that made me think they were going to.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Zeke's done that before in agility too :-\

He'll do better next time!
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Hang in there. Just goes to show us that sometimes they really just don't want to go there.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Showing outside is certainly challenging. I'm so sorry he ran from the ring.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Awww bummer. It certainly can be a crap shoot showing outside since you have mother nature to contend with (not only weather but birds and other critters, leaves blowing, smells getting carried in on a wind, etc). You just never know what might catch their fancy.

Awww, shucks! So sorry to hear Angus came up with a "new" one for you. Do you train outside very often?

No, Karen, we don't :-\ So, I went in knowing yesterday was a little iffy. I didn't know it was THAT iffy though!

It was actually under a pavilion, and a matted ring, so I thought *maybe* that would transfer.

Honestly, he was warming up great. It looked like it was going to go well. I was watching the tape (again), and remembered our ring steward:

He was a teenage boy and didn't seem to be taking the whole thing very seriously. : I remember when he came up to take our leash, he approached us from the side...he came from the exit gate and walked right over to Angus' side. Then, as he arrived to take the leash, his last step was a little "hop" and he clapped his hands. You know, the teenager "Here I am, isn't this fun?" kind of thing. > I remember it startled me a bit when he did his hop, as I didn't see him in my peripheral vision. Now I am thinking it might have startled Angus as well.

When Angus left the ring, he went straight to the teenage steward and started trying to crawl in his lap.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast