What time of day is your best training time?

Thread: What time of day is your best training time?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat time of day is your best training time?

Just curious. I had the opportunity to take Moose out today around 3:00 to get a little training in and he was such a slug. It was kinda warm however. I'm finding that training with him before meal time except very early in the morning is just out. We normally train in class at 6pm and this seems to work fairly well because he's eaten and slept all day.

The best time is really early morning, but I just don't get much in since I'm walking both dogs and the walk is really what is needed first.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What time of day is your best training time?

I train at different times, in different weather condition. I will train first thing in the morining and the heat of the day. I have been to shows that we were about the only ones to qualify cause it was late afternoon when we got in and all the other dogs had "melted"! Not that Caleb was totally fresh but he has learned that when I say it is time to work we work. So, since I never know what the show situation will bring, I do as large of variation in time and conditions as possible.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Yep training in the afternoon is an advantage with a novice dog here in california as most of the time you are the last to compete at a show and its usually after noon. If I train in the evening I don't feed until after we train.
    Also if you get a chance to train in the rain then do so. We are getting into the hot part of the year so training in the heat helps prepare a dog. Also keeping your dog cool and comfortable during hot shows is a priority. My first CD leg was during the heat wave last year. It was 114 outside when we went into the ring and did both rally and obedience back to back. talk about stressing out on a long sit....did you know you can say "Please don't lay down" silently to yourself 43 times in one minute..lol

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    [color=blue]I train at different times, in different weather condition.
    Us too!

I wake her up from a nap and practice, practice mid-day, practice at 6 am, ten pm at night, etc- yeah and the heat is a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    ...did you know you can say "Please don't lay down" silently to yourself 43 times in one minute..lol
    HAHA! Yes I know that one well.

Usually I train at different times throughout the day and in all kinds of weather. We are kind of limited here in the summer though...early morning (right at dawn) and very late at night (after 9 or 10) are the only times that are cool enough. I will still do a quick heeling pattern or a couple of front and finishes in the heat of the day...just something quick, nothing too intensive

Right before supper time is Ruby's most attentive time. She prefers night time, and hates training in the snow.