Rally Advanced A next weekend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally Advanced A next weekend

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally Advanced A next weekend

We already got our judging program!

We are one of only three dogs in Advanced A. All Angus has to do is Q and we have a ribbon!

Come on, Angus!

I'm a little worried though. This show is outdoors under a pavilion. We haven't shown outdoors before. It will still be a ring, and I think will be matted on concrete, but this will be different for him.

We also had a majorly bad experience on Friday in practice. We were halfway through the course when Angus beelined away from me. ??? I couldn't figure out WHY he would suddenly do that, then I saw: They had set up the offset Figure Eight...with FOOD in the bowls.

He ran over and started honking it down as fast as he could. >

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally Advanced A next weekend

If you get the offset figure 8 in your trial and they use food it should be covered. Good luck ........... is this your first time in Advanced?
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

At least you got 1/2 way through...if there's food Zeke beelines from the startline :
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have gotten one other Advanced leg He got that in Chattanooga oh, about a month ago. St. Patrick's day, that's when it was!

He did OK, ESPECIALLY considering we immediately followed a Borzoi who puked about three steps into the ring :-X I could not believe we made it past that. He wandered off a couple of times, but was able to call him back in (after what seemed like an eternity).

Kevin had him out walking him around too much before we went in the ring. : A mistake that will not be duplicated If he has too much out and about time, I get no focus in the ring. If he's fresh, he's usually pretty good.

But smelling food somewhere close would be the exception.

One of the times he wandered in our first Advanced A was when we got near the judge's table. He stuck his head over the ring gate and sniffed everything like a Hoover. Kevin said the table had brownies.

Connie and "The Boys":

Well I would get to practicing with both food and toys scattered everywhere anytime you practice (especially if you practice some on leash). Make both Simon and Angus understand that all food and toys are a cue to look at you, because it is a set-up. It makes training easier if they know that the only things they can eat are from you.
    Wishing you good luck!!

Kelly and Amber

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Good luck Connie - I know that will be my most difficult challenge with Moose if we get that far. In class our instructor has us do recalls thru the food dishes and stuffed animals. Moose could care less about stuffed animals, but food is so overwhelming for him. We did 2 or 3 walk thru's on leash first and then we did the recall's. I made sure Moose could see my treat when I called him, but in the ring there won't be a treat so I know I'll have to really work on this one.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Did you teach a "leave it" command? I find that helps me and Caleb and my students. Do well! Looking for good news!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Yes, he knows "leave it," and it works *most* of the time. But he is QUICK, and if he gets to it and starts eating before I say leave it, forget it!

We went to the club today and worked a bit on it. He seemed to have it after a few tries and was doing marvelously! So, we'll keep doing stuff like that this week.

Now, watch, I'll put a ton of effort into food bowls all week and there won't even be any.

Connie and "The Boys":

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Some one made the comment last week that lab owner's mantra is "leave it, leave it, leave it"!!!! I use that and "EASY, EASY, EASY" just about the whole time in Rally!!!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

patm is offline Senior Member

Good Luck guys!!! You're braver than me right now. We've never done an outside show either, and I don't plan on it very soon. I'd like to do one sometime, just to get the practice, but just haven't done it yet. You would think that Emilu hated the outdoors - she doesn't like to sit or laydown on the grass during training. We had the off-set figure 8 last weekend, but it only had toys in it. One dog took the toy and scattered it near the bowl - they never went and put it back, which I was kinda surprised at. Some of the dogs (including Emilu) saw it on the way to another sign , but they mostly just glanced at it. I was worried about Emilu (especially if we had had food in the bowls), but we trained pretty well, and she seemed to know that she better not look at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast