Got Some Good Work in This Weekend

Thread: Got Some Good Work in This Weekend

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultGot Some Good Work in This Weekend

Friday I went to a brand new PetsSupplies Plus and worked Caleb. It was basically empty when we were there so I was able to stand him and then leave and go across the room. Stress puppy kicked in, but we worked through and he stayed and did his signals. Worked on go-outs as well.

Sandy Ladwig was at Cleveland All-Breed this past weekend for a seminar. It was good and lots of new ideas and reinforcing of what I all ready believed.

Best part--I had Caleb with me and so at each break (it was a two day seminar) and lunch I was able to get him out and work him. Did signals, go-outs, moving stands with strangers examining, articles. Stress puppy kicked in again, but again we were in a position that we could work through it. The OTCh trainer/handler we take classes from told me that if he could work through things this weekend (which he did) the ring is not nearly as busy as what it was with everyone up working their dogs. I was proud of my boy! I told Lew that in some ways that was worth the price of the seminar being able to get Caleb out and work him in such stressful surroundings.

Now, to get it to transfer over to the ring.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Got Some Good Work in This Weekend

Boy, do I ever relate to all that!!!! Try having girls with the dreaded hormones... they can really stress (I know that yawn too!) on me, esp about 2 mos out from going into heat. : -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Hi Susan - Sounds like you enjoyed Sandy's seminar at CABTC. I've heard mixed reactions so like anything you take away what works or helps you and store the rest for another time or another pup.
    Terry has been working with Shamrock. Sunday is the Siberian Husky All Breed Obedience show - I know Terry would love for Shamrock to finish his UD and I would too so we can do some Agility again.
    Some days Shamrock is great and then he seems to forget what is supposed to be doing. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to see you soon. I know you said you were not doing the May 12 & 13th Akron All Breed Obedience - what about Rally? I entered Doro for RAE2 legs on Friday night. I might enter Shamrock in Rally Excellent. Terry is probably not going to enter Utility - he doesn't like the facility so much particularly since all crating is in cars which is terrible when its hot. I know he wants to do Toledo the 1st weekend in June. Betsy
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's wonderful! I wish we had some good seminars out here. If I ever want to see a big name trainer, I'm going to have to fly back east.

I agree...having a chance to work thru issues is worth the price of admission. I got a good correction on Murray during agility training last night. He saw the red line on the ground marking the distance challenge and completely checked out. He was sniffing, running along the line, sniffing, running back along the line all the while I called and called. I finally walked up to him, grabbed him by his little cheeks and said "COME!" Boy did that get an immediate reaction from him. ;D The rest of the night he was awesome. He's been able to get away with this attitude for so long in the ring (in obedience and agility) that it's becoming a habit so finally having the opportunity to correct him was worth $1M to me.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I agree...having a chance to work thru issues is worth the price of admission. I got a good correction on Murray during agility training last night. He saw the red line on the ground marking the distance challenge and completely checked out. He was sniffing, running along the line, sniffing, running back along the line all the while I called and called. I finally walked up to him, grabbed him by his little cheeks and said "COME!" Boy did that get an immediate reaction from him. ;D The rest of the night he was awesome. He's been able to get away with this attitude for so long in the ring (in obedience and agility) that it's becoming a habit so finally having the opportunity to correct him was worth $1M to me.

That was one of the things she talked about and my trainers talk about--respect from our dogs. We inadvertantly allow incorrect behavior outside the ring/training situations or life in general and then when it begins to show up in the ring we're amazed. I know I am beginning to realize areas that I allow Caleb to get away with stuff and then when I need attention it is elsewhere--not on me! We make excuses for some of the incorrect things they do. Man, has this week been an eye opener for me! Even in little things, like how much time it takes the dog to set up for an exercise--are they right there or are they looking around?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom

That was one of the things she talked about and my trainers talk about--respect from our dogs. We inadvertantly allow incorrect behavior outside the ring/training situations or life in general and then when it begins to show up in the ring we're amazed. I know I am beginning to realize areas that I allow Caleb to get away with stuff and then when I need attention it is elsewhere--not on me! We make excuses for some of the incorrect things they do. Man, has this week been an eye opener for me! Even in little things, like how much time it takes the dog to set up for an exercise--are they right there or are they looking around?
    Sounds like what I do at school ;D ;D ;D