Agility

Thread: Agility

DefaultAgility

Anyone ever made their own agility course? I'm thinking some weave poles, high jump, and the tunnel. Shouldnt be too tricky to construct?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility

Weave polls are very easy to make, it's the first thing we made. Jumps are easy as well, depending on how elaborate or simple you want them to be. I'm not sure how you would make a tunnel though, I just bought mine since it's Jake's favorite piece of equipment and sending him through makes for a great reward every now and then. We got it from Affordable Agility.

Something even better to make would be a ladder or a buja board. The ladder teaches (or reminds) the dog that he has back feet as well as front feet! That'll be important for agility (dog walk, teeter, jumps, etc.). The buja board (which can just be plywood with a partially deflated ball underneath) helps with balance and gets the dog used to things moving under their feet (like the teeter).

I used this site to make the ladder, I think they have weave poll instructions as well http://www.peak.org/~helix/Agility/

And just a reminder, since it looks like Merlin isn't a year old yet you'll want to go easy on training the weaves (the bouncing action can be hard on their joints) and no jumping higher than his hocks (even better would be just a couple inches off the ground. Jake is 18 months and we still only jump 16" once in a blue moon at class.

Good luck and have fun building!!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Here is the agility course in my backyard. I also have a tunnel. I made all of the equipement myself, and believe me I am not talented in that kind of thing!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bells Mum, that looks awsome!! ;D

I made a 20inch gap between each post. And not as many posts as I would have liked, I ran out of T-pieces, because I forgot that it needed arm each side to keep it stable :

Ive run taken Merlin through it a few times, and by jolly I think he's getting it already!!! ;D

The 'stucture', looks like a fly could knock it down. :P

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

looks good!!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Bells Mum, that looks awsome!! ;D

I made a 20inch gap between each post. And not as many posts as I would have liked, I ran out of T-pieces, because I forgot that it needed arm each side to keep it stable :

Ive run taken Merlin through it a few times, and by jolly I think he's getting it already!!! ;D

The 'stucture', looks like a fly could knock it down. :P
    My weaves are just individually stuck in the ground. I used a piece of reinforcing rod (and a few arrows), and then stuck the pvc pipe over it. That way you can angle them if you wish.

There is a Yahoo group for making your own agility equipment.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agility-equipment/

You might want to consider using Channel Weaves to start. You can buy them from http://www.affordableagility.com/ima...annelcombo.jpg but they are simple to make.

You start with them open like this:

http://www.affordableagility.com/ima...annelcombo.jpg

Then you gradually close them up as the dog learns the weave motion.

http://www.affordableagility.com/ima...annelcombo.jpg

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yes, with the exception of the tunnels and chutes, I've made all my stuff myself.

I did end up having a friend weld me a base for the weaves. Ruger kept busting the PVC weave's I made

My poles can adjust, and tilt. coz each pole has its own t-piece. So would I start by angling each one opposite so merlin doesnt have to bend so much to get around at first?

I did a bit of research into agility, but it was only after I made my poles that I read that the weave poles are the hardest for the dog to learn. And some get it, some just dont! agh!