drugs at shows question

Thread: drugs at shows question

Defaultdrugs at shows question

I come from a background in the horse world, and not in the dog world. In the horse world, you can be disqualified, sanctioned, fined, etc, if you give a horse an anti-inflammatory before a show.

Is this the same with the dogs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: drugs at shows question

As far as I know, it's illegal but not really an issue.. there's very little money to be made in competitive dog events. I think there may be some abuse in the conformation ring, but more along the lines of modifying coat or surgery to fix faults (tail set, teeth, etc) rather than drugs.

A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day - in the top levels of agility, what you see more is way too much pressure put on the dogs to perform.. hyper competitive owners putting all their desires and drives on to their dogs, who could care less about fractions of a second.

That makes sense. I tried to locate something in the rules and couldn't.

The reason I'm asking is this: I registered Gabby a while ago for a rally novice show coming up. She really likes showing and training and it seems like it would be a decent low-impact outing for her (while not making me lose my entry fee) so if it was legal, I was going to let her do it.

Obviously, if she showed any signs of pain or if it was illegal, i wouldn't, but it was just a thought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I think that's a great idea.. I know that dogs that are clearly lame are excused from the Canadian Rally classes, but if she can move reasonably well, there's no reason that you can't do the novice level. The more advanced levels have jumps, so that may be a concern - but I believe you can get the heights lowered.

From the CARO website:

Physically challenged handlers and dogs are encouraged to compete. Modifications of the course for both handler and dog are permitted, at the judge's discretion.
    It is at the judge’s discretion whether or not a dog will be allowed to compete. If the handler has any concerns regarding the judge’s decision, or wishes to challenge it, the handler should be prepared to present a "letter" from a veterinarian stating that the dog is fit to compete. The judge will then consider this in his final decision. As all injuries are not always obvious or consistent, the judge shall have the final discretion at the day of the trial.
    All requests for modifications to a course must accompany the Entry Form (Registration Form) for the trial. The request should be in writing and should explain the handicap and the modification(s) requested. The trial secretary is required to forward any letters regarding the physically challenged dog/handler team and the proposed modifications as a result of these physical challenges, to the judge (s) for their approval at least a week prior to the trial to enable the judge (s) to make modifications to the course in advance of the trial.
    The request should also include a contact phone number in the event that the judge has any questions prior to the event.
    Should the request be approved by the judge, the judge shall initial the request and attach it to the score sheet.
    Particular Situations

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I've been wondering this too....

Are there any rules regarding things that might affect the dog's mental state...Like Rescue Remedy or something to keep the dog calm in the ring or something like that?

Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    Are there any rules regarding things that might affect the dog's mental state...Like Rescue Remedy or something to keep the dog calm in the ring or something like that?
    I use the Oxyfresh Stress Relief Gold on both of us before we go into the ring. I don't think there is anything against herbal stuff--it isn't a drug. I know for a while the top agility team both used the Oxyfresh, too. I don't make a big deal that I am using it and I'll do it outside more than inside but I have given it to us in the trial site.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

No rules as far as I know. I have seen dogs disqualified from the ring for limping.

For Gabby doing Rally Novice, if she is on a anti-inflammatory, it should be fine. Just remember, do the course as best as possible, aim for perfect exercises, DON'T worry about being fast or rusing through it. Time is only used to distinguish between those with the same scores.

Thanks guys. With her not being able to exercise at all right now- training is the only thing keeping her sane. Well that and drugs.