Can't catch a break - update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't catch a break - update

DefaultCan't catch a break - update

So the vet doesn't think it is kennel cough. She thinks it may be Valley Fever. I'd rather it be KC. :'( We won't have results back until Mon and she said it may come back as a false negative if I caught it early in the disease so we'll have to retest in a few weeks. I hate this damn disease. It's an epidemic this year and just recently one of my friend's dog died from it.

So first I had the scare with Murray's agility accident which turned out to be a lot of panick over nothing. Then I noticed he was peeing a lot...A LOT...even more than normal for my pred boy so I took in a urine sample to the vet who found traces of protein in the urine. Not good. So she ran a battery of tests for kidney and liver function as well as a bunch of other things. Everything came back normal. Then she tested for VF...again normal. So we retested his urine...normal. :-\ We have no idea why there was protein in the urine one day but not the next so I just watch and wait for now I guess. Oh and pay $250 in vet bills.

I took Essy in for her OFA last week too which was another $225. That was after the vet visit for her ear infection and to get her anal glands expressed.

Then yesterday Essy woke up hacking and gagging. Kennel cough. :-\ Our next show was supposed to be April 13 but maybe not now...for either dog.Bye bye entry fees. :'(

Around here, when it rains it pours...or maybe that should read "poor".

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can't catch a break

I so agree... when it rains, it does POOR

Sure hope your crew is back to feeling fit and competing again soon!

You may be okay by the 13th if it is a mild case.
    You can also hope for a judge change so you can pull and get a refund.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Wow Lydia! Pray things get better soon and it works out you can compete.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can't catch a break - update

Lydia - Hoping Murray and Essy are soon feeling better and mom too. I don't think I've ever heard of Valley Fever - is it similar to Kennel Cough? Betsy
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

No, Valley Fever is a disease common in the Southwest. It is caused by spores that live in the soil and are stirred up when the wind blows, then inhaled into the lungs where the continue to grow until they burst and disperse the disease. Most people who have lived in the Southwest for any length of time have already had VF and may not have even known...probably thinking it was just the flu. Their immune system fights it off. Some people and animals become very sick and require hospitalization. I had it, developed pneumonia from it, should have been hospitalized but fought against doing that because I had small kids to take care of at the time even though I couldn't get out of bed. I was off work for 12 weeks. The disease causes nodules to form in the lungs. My chest xray looked like someone with lung cancer. Sometimes it becomes systemic and goes into the brain, central nervous system, organs, bones and joints. It can be deadly if left untreated and can still be deadly even if treated.

First symptoms are the cough and sometimes limping if the disease has progressed unnoticed.

If you are interested in learning more, here is a link:

http://www.vfce.arizona.edu/

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Lydia - Thanks so much for the information about Valley Fever. I had an inkling it might be a geographical thing. And its whatever that word is that both animals and humans can be affected by it. Sounds like you were very sick and I know pneumonia is nothing to fool around with. I will say a quick prayer for Murray - I do hope he is OK. Its always something, isn't it?
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Actually its Essy that we are worried about. Murray tested negative recently. We can use all the help we can get so I wanted to make sure those prayers went out for the correct dog.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I hope they're both feeling better soon, Essy with the possible VF and Murray with the protein in his urine

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

How scary. Essy will be in my thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery from whatever it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast