Karen- how'd it go?

Thread: Karen- how'd it go?

DefaultKaren- how'd it go?

Was thinking about you this morning! Hope it went well!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Karen- how'd it go?

Thanks for asking!

It went pretty well. We were in the ring 5 times, Belle in Advanced B and Excellent B for her third (of ten needed) leg for RAE. Kodi was also in Advanced B and Excellent B for her first RAE leg. There were about 17 competitors in each of theh B classes. Hoss, was in Excellent A for his first RE leg. There were about 6 in his class.

Belle was an absolute slug in the ring for the first half of each course. Each time, about 1/2 way through she perked up and did alright. I was really surprised that the judge gave her a 96 and 95, 'cause she made a point of saying that she was going to take off points when it appeared that there was no "briskness" in the performance...sure as heck was none with Belle!

Kodi was right on and did very well. Several spectators commented on how well she works for me. She got a third and a fourth place. The fourth place was a nine way tie for "second" place with a 99 score and there was less than a tenth of a second difference inthe top 4 places! She lost her one point because she bumped me on a 360* turn. I need to start working on not chattering to her so much as we go through the course, and see if we are even close to competing in traditional obedience. I'd like to start her this summer or fall in Novice.

Hoss was the star and got a first place with a 99 score! The honor was tense though, as there was a Briard as the working dog. Hoss was sitting facing the ring with me at his side. In front of us, the working dog had three stations where he was fairly close doing sits, downs, pivots and finally a fast pace away from us. Well, Hoss started to whine as the Briard approached for the first time. Hoss has an amorous/play thing for shaggy dogs, and the whining is a precursor to him lunging at a dog, wanting to play. (He has taken me right off my feet once before going for a Sheltie while we were accepting ribbons...can we say SPLAT!) So, I spent the whole Honor whispering to Hoss that if he valued his testicles, he better watch me without so much as an eye flick toward that big beautiful Briard! Happilly is was only AFTER the judge said "exercise finished" that Hoss broke his sit and was about to go for the Briard (who was approaching our spot to do his honor). I quickly grabbed his collar and a piece of ear and oh, so gently guided him out of the ring!

When accepting the awards, the judge wondered where the "lab" was. I motioned to the empty spot next to me and said "right here!" and then qualified that Hoss had a thing for shaggy dogs and I was not going to tempt fate and loose our score post-competition for an amorous fling! Apparently the judge thought that was funny and laughed out loud!

So, over all a good day. Five qualified scores, but Belle's slugginess was disapointing. It was however during her regularily scheduled nap time, and I think in the last 3-4 months, I have only worked her at most 4 times...ah well, what another dog to train??

patm is offline Senior Member

Wow!! Sounds like you guys had a great, busy day! Sorry about Belle being a slug -sometimes we just have those days , you know? Bet she'll do better next time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congrats to all of you!!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Congrats on a great weekend. ;D You know, I wouldn't worry about Belle. I'm sure the last thing the judge remembered was how up she was the 2nd half of the run. It's always better to leave on a high note, than a low one. Also, while you felt she was being sluggish, she probably wasn't to the general public. I've seen dogs that I know could work better still look a heckova lot better than some of the ones that are truly sluggish in every sense of the word (luring and bribing them around the course).

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Karen what a great weekend for you! Congrats!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Congrats on a great weekend. ;D You know, I wouldn't worry about Belle. I'm sure the last thing the judge remembered was how up she was the 2nd half of the run. It's always better to leave on a high note, than a low one.
    Thanks, I hope it was just a lack of training and time of day thing. The only reason I started to go for the RAE title is that last year she seemed to be sooooooo happy to be in the ring, bouncing right along and slapping her furry hinny on the floor for a sit. If it turns out she is not enjoying it, I'll stop. (She never really enjoyed traditional obedience, but did it because I asked her. Hunt tests and agility on the other hand.....were down right embarassing the way she was barely under control!...which is why we got into obedience, for a modicom if control).