Rally Advanced Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally Advanced Question

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally Advanced Question

How common is it for an Advanced A dog to umm....leave the ring? Eventually I am going to have to try Advanced with Zeke and I was wondering if judges are somewhat tolerant of excited A dogs?

Watch...he'll make a reputation for himself as the dog that left thr ring and when he's old and competing in more advanced levels people will stand around the ring whispering "that thar's the dawg that left the ring back in '07" (<---wizened old timer voice).
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally Advanced Question

Sorry, but leaving the ring will NQ you - even excited, happy Advanced A dogs. I'm not sure about if you have passed the finish sign, but haven't put the leash back on and your dog runs out of the ring, but anytime after the start sign and before the finish sign they can't leave the ring. I was worried about what Emilu would do (you just never know) in Advanced A also, but she really did pretty well. There was a sign that was the "weave in the cones" that was near the start gate and many dogs , as they went outside the one cone would be facing the gate and keep heading in that direction. All were called back easily and none left the ring, but after watching it happen to several dogs, I was ready for that spot. Emilu also took a look in the direction of the gate, and I just called her attention back and we went on. We are doing your second run in about 2 weeks (yikes - that soon?!) and I'll be just as concerned with that one

ZRL

Oh, I know it's an NQ ---- I just wondered what judges did? I know there was one judge that lectured everyone who got points taken off on the 3steps heeling backwards. Before she handed out ribbons she told everyone that they did poorly on that station and should work on it. I just don't want to be the only one with a dog that acts up :P

He's currently entered in Novice and after last week's fiasco he probably should remain in Novice, but I think it was a handler error (I was nervous and didn't help him much at all). So I am thinking if I get over being nervous we might have a chance.

But I guess maybe I should leave him in Novice...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on the judge and how, well, judgemental they are. If you get a judge who shows Border Collies, they are probably not going to see the humor.

Angus just got his first Advanced leg a couple of weeks ago. I had the same fear as you, of course. :P And my fears were almost realized a couple of times...twice he left my side. Once when we were about to do a left spiral. He ran ahead to check out the cones and make sure they were safe. :-\ Then he did it again later in the run...he went to go put his head on the judge's table and sniff the brownies. :

He got an 87. We had a nice judge. I was able to call him back both times, so she didn't NQ us. But I am fully aware that some judges would have.

If he had left the ring, that would be a definite NQ. But I've seen dogs do it, or almost do it (stewards caught them) many times. In Advanced A, the dog going off to briefly explore looks to be pretty common to me. I think it just depends on the judge as to how much they have to say about this. Some judges seem to find it amusing. Others look disgusted. Ya never know!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Unless they actually leave the ring, the main thing is that if they leave your side to "go explore" that you can get them back fairly quickly. That's not so bad and I've seen LOTS of dogs do that. I think the judge can tell if the dog is listening at all to the owner and coming back and trying, or if they've just lost it and the dog is pretty much doing it's own thing. Before I showed Emilu in Advanced I was farily sure she would at least listen to me and not go running around the ring, but I had people tell me that unless I was really sure of my dog I shouldn't show in Advanced. I thought - I'll never be completely sure - she's a DOG! So I just went for it. The last show I was at, in Advanced B they lady started out with her cocker, and the dog was just really distracted and not listening to her at all - didn't run off, but stayed behind, went off to the side etc. She asked to be excused after about 3 signs because she knew the dog just wasn't going to do anything for her. I don't think it was the first time this dog had done Advanced either, so that probably make a difference to her.

Pat, I almost bailed out when Angus lost it near the back of the ring. He was just over there sniffing, totally ignoring me. :-[ I'm going, "Angus, Angus, Angus, ANGUS..." I took one step towards him, he must have seen the movement, and he turned right around and got back into heel. PHEW!

Now I realize I should have said something besides his name to get his attention. He hears that all the time and is numb to it. : I think what I should have done is said, under my breath like a secret: "Who's hungry?" This always gets their attention, and I get a huge laugh out of the fact that no matter how quietly I say it, it always gets a BIG response!

Of course, then he might have started doing aerials and butt-tucking, so that may have backfired too.

Connie and "The Boys":

I'm saving my "secret weapon" for when I really need it - "Emilu - BISCUITS!!!" That should bring her running back to me ;D

My friend Anna likes to tell the story of this lady who was doing the honor with her dog...

She said the woman stood in front of the dog the whole time, saying, "Chiiiiicken! Chiiiiiicken!"

Connie and "The Boys":

Ohh you didn't know about the leaving the ring rule...If your dog leaves the ring then they enter "RL" after the dogs name and everytime after that alll the future judges will know about him. Also at the show he does it at you have to wear a dunce cap and be the leash runner for the rest of Rally. ;D ;D
    It happens quite often in Advanced A remember this is the first time that dogs are off leash and alot of dogs aren't trained in obedience. I was at a show where an advanced B dog took two steps forward from the start sign sniffed the ground once and flipped over and rubbed its back on the grass for about 3 minutes before the judge excused them. The owner had to pick up her Daschund and leave the ring. The very next dog the owner removed the leash and the dog ran and ran and went through a few other rings and eventually a steward caught it. The third dog in did ok till about the middle and then went and watered the ring post. The only thing I think we missed that day was a dog bitting the judge.
    The only dog I remembered was the weiner dog because he was having such a good time rubbing in the grass. I don't think I would know the owner or the dog if i saw them again and that was only 6 months ago.

Kelly and Amber

ZRL

Haha...maybe that's my problem. I forget that other people don't recognize me.

Personally, I will recognize someone I saw for 5min a year ago - even if I don't know their names. Maybe I'm just weird that way, haha.

Note to self: not everyone has an obsessive memory...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast