Need to add some excitement - suggestions?

Thread: Need to add some excitement - suggestions?

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed to add some excitement - suggestions?

Emilu and I are training for our show in Rally Advanced in a few weeks, but in class we are working on Novice Obedience stuff and I must admit that it's getting a little boring for both Emilu and me at home training. I am having a hard time keeping her attention - and I think it's because we aren't very excitied by the routine. I am planning on taking her to the college again, and working there, but wondered what you guys do when routine training becomes a tad old, but you still need to work on the stuff. She is most attentive at shows, then class, and least attentive at home. You'd think it would be just the opposite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need to add some excitement - suggestions?

Pat, remember Rally came from all the doodling exercises done in Obedience. I rarely do straight heeling execpt right before a show. I do a lot of the 360's, 270's on my turns, the different about turns. You bet just doing heeling gets boring. That is why the Rally exercises where created--to add diversity to the Obedience work. Rally came from Obedience and should not be separated. I do many of the Rally exercises in my advanced classes.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I mix in lots of different stuff. Casting on retrieves, fetching dumbells, agility stuff like weave poles, jumps run bys like agility and Rally and directed jumping like Utility, Go-outs etc. Each exercise has lots of different pieces to train and it keeps life interesting. In between each different exercise, I do the doodling heeling like Susan was talking about.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

First, if it's boring to you, it's going to be boring to the dog. I think heeling is fun but then I love precision work. I don't think I've ever heeled a straight line except in the ring. I doodle all over the place.

I use toys for training. My favorite is a tiny tennis ball that fits under my arm pit. We'll be heeling along and occasionally I'll toss it out ahead of us as I release Murray. I also use it as Murray finishes by tossing it ahead of me. I also use it for go outs and signals because it makes Murray watch me.

Be creative. Play games like chase when you leave the dog for the recall. Stop about half way across the ring, crouch down, say "ready, set, OK (or your release word) and take off running and let the dog chase you. Terri Arnold's book has a lot of games you can play.