Rally Failure. - Updated to add the video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally Failure. - Updated to add the video

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally Failure. - Updated to add the video

Zeke did worse than EVER before. Worse than his first class, worse than his first trial, and worse than he's ever done in practice. We didn't even finish the rally course - I pulled him 1/2 way through because it was just too bad.

Outside the ring as we were waiting his was great, focused (as focused as Zeke gets anyway) and responsive and great. I was really confident he would do well and as they called our number we walked in and then....Zeke can't sit, can't look at me, doesn't remember anything, can't heel.... It was bad. He looked like I'd just grabbed a dog from the pound and slipped a leash on it and tried to pass it off as a Rally dog.

He has 1 more chance next weekend and if he bombs that I am just going to stop competing with him for a while. I'll still train him, but he will not enter an official trial for a long time. (I'm not saying this just because of 1 bad attempt, by the way. I have various other reasons)

ETA: This was rally novice B...he already has the RN. He's just....worse than he was when he got the title. ???
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally Failure.

I'm sorry ............ hope Zeke can redeem himself!! Our pups can keep us humble, can't they?!! :
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ZRL

My cat is more likely to suceed in Rally than Zeke is :P

My cat is bonded to people, has a recall (if you tell him you're going to feed him), and actively seeks out people to pet him. He works for food.

Zeke is independent, very poor recall (because of his extreme curiosity and independance) and he actively avoids being petted. He works for food.

My cat should be ILPed as a toy fox terrier with a tail :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Not my cats!! Two of them are so not people pleasers!! One is, but would just lay down to get a belly rub.

How old is Zeke? I have forgotten.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry. It can be so frustrating. I hope Zeke does better tomorrow.

ZRL

Zeke is nearly 5...this is actually his "new and improved" version. He didn't get into any iffy situations with other dogs, he wasn't iffy with people, and he was semi-calm while we waited. As opposed to every other rally show he has gone too where in 3 shows he got into iffy-ness with SEVERAL dogs - not *all* were his fault but he definitely contributed.

He's not entered tomorrow (maybe fortunately, maybe unfortunately?) I have to drive back to school.

I was really puzzled when he fell to pieces though. We had been doing GREAT outside the ring and I wasn't nervous because I was confident it would be a piece of cake for him. We marched into the ring and he sat in perfect heel staring up at me and then not even a second later he fell to pieces before the judge even approached us. NOTHING changed....he just went from confident and "ON" to completely lacking focus.

Here's a "blow by blow account"

-walk in the ring and Zeke sits perfectly staring up at me with tremendous focus
    -suddenly he loses focus and starts looking around and loses confidence and is looking backwards at the ring stewards (they didn't do anything to cause this).
    -I CANNOT get his attention back - tried calling his name, poking him, tweaking his ears, jiggling the leash - nothing.
    -Judge approaches and he leaps up to investigate
    -WILL NOT get back in starting position...took forever.
    -Finally get started and he's obviously not "there" and it's not the happy distracted bouncyness - it's more "wha? what am I doing here? Who are all these people? What's going on?"
    -Get to the second station...I call him for the call front finish left. He keeps walking and hits the end of the leash.
    -I manage to get him to come back....only he decides to sit behind me.
    -Managed to get him in front of me...told him to finish left.
    -he started...and kept walking - never turned around to return to heel.
    -I tugged the leash (didn't care about points anymore) and got him going in the right direction.
    -time for a 270 right....*yoo hoo!!! RIGHT!!! RIGHT!!!!* I ended up tugging him around by the leash.
    -getting flustered by now....
    -calm down...we can do this. Just get his attention back.
    -halt. walk around your dog. "Zeke sit." *keeps walking...doesn't notice I have stopped* "ZEKE, sit" "slowly sits 3ft in front of me*
    -about turn. YAY! I've got a tiny bit of attention - I decided to walk fast and get him going...usually works.
    -managed to get through the serpentine decently.
    -lost his attention again...."C'mon Zeke..right turn. Right..Zeke...."
    -Zeke walks over to the ring gating....waayyyy out of position.
    -thanked the judge, grabbed him and left the ring.

-5 seconds later he was back "on" and doing things perfectly...the SAME THINGS he had just bombed. The only thing that had changed is that we weren't within the red expandable ring gating.

ZRL

DefaultRe: Rally Failure. - Updated to add the video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=24lBmW35gMk

The video doesn't make it look quite as bad as it really was....the leash is difficult to see but I had to drag him through several stations and things. I suppose I *could* have kept going, but he started jumping around (see the last couple seconds of the video) and IMO any reasonable judge would have already taken off so many points we'd be DQed already.

The camera was turned on *after* his degeneration from confident and focused rally dog to drugged out loopy dog.

You really can tell from the vid that something behind him distracted him and you might as well not have even BEEN there!!!
    I can see you trying to get his focus back but he is intent on whatever it was behind him...ring stewards? Were they chatting or something? or eating a pork sandwich maybe? lol

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

OH NO! This sounds like one of our runs!

I haven't watched the video yet, but what you are describing sounds EXACTLY like Simon in the January trials. I knew what caused his...the Border Collie > before us and his owner came out the "in" gate right before we went on, hooping and hollering and celebrating. That was it. My Mr. Steady crumbled to pieces and kept looking for that Border Collie the entire run. Like you said (and I have said MANY times), I might as well have picked some dog up off the street and brought him in. [email protected] cat would've done better!

Well, you know, I have noticed that when I have those HORRIBLE runs, it always seems much, much worse than it actually looks on video. I think you're just out there experiencing it and so sensitive to every mis-step.

I know exactly how you feel. I think Angus was doing better a year ago than he seems to be now. I have been wondering, maybe he is bored? Maybe I have gotten boring? So, I have been trying to be really really excited again when we are training. I think I may have started taking him a little for granted and eased up on the enthusiastic praise. This is my theory anyway. I dunno...we'll see if it helps.

Don't worry! You'll get him back!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I just watched the video.

PLEASE! That was NOT that bad! Oh man. I've had MUCH worse! I've had worse and still Q'd! In Rally Advanced last week Angus was halfway across the dang ring from me on two occasions! (Well, not halfway, but definitely NOT in heel position). I thought about leaving the ring at one point, and if he hadn't come back when he did I might have. I told SU that I had thought about bailing, and he and my Rally Instructor both said they were really glad I didn't. My instructor said she advises students to finish unless it is really, really terrible, like the dog runs out of the ring. You never know how the judge will be scoring. Angus got an 87 in that trial.

I have seen dogs who really *did* go halfway across the ring score in the 90's. Really, I think it just depends on what the judge's little "thing" is. We had one judge who didn't care WHAT your dog did, seemingly, as long as you had a loose leash. If you could maintain loose leash, your dog could sit crooked and hesitate and be just as goofy as he pleased. Angus got an 88 the first time he showed under that judge, and when I looked it was ALL tight leash dings. I loosened up the leash the second day and, even though IMO the run was much worse, he got 100.

Now, Simon's trial in January was WAY worse than Zeke, and he did NQ. :-\ But, I got him back by the end of the run, which sort of helped me feel a little better about it.

I really don't think you guys did all that horrible!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast