Frustrating Animal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Animal

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrustrating Animal

Guess who I could be talking about.

Yes..Zeke again. He's back to having his belligerent attitude. At his agility lesson be broke pretty much every single stay I put him in - even if I was standing RIGHT in front of him! He would just jump up anyway and run away and start sniffing and hunting along the edges of the fence - or doing random agility obstacles that he likes. So...I had to call him back. HAH! What at joke. I called...but he didn't come back. I hid from him....he didn't notice. I ran in the other direction....he didn't notice. I went to go get him....he noticed and ran around in circles to evade capture. Then he peed on the A-frame. On the few 'succesful' recalls he returned to the trainer instead of me....she had the scent of deer meat treats in her pocket (not that she actually had any treats left : ) He was also REALLY mouthy (again). If I had to lead him by the collar (ie. I actually managed to catch him and had to bring him back to re-start the course) he would chew on my arms and bite my hands the entire way back - he wanted me to let go (so I led him by the scruff instead :P He didn't like that either). Also he's come to the conclusion that if he DOES return he should run away again immediately afterwards - this is because I have to re-call him and then he gets praised/rewarded again. After-all, he DID return...he just wasn't supposed to have left. We're working on that though...

Anywho....does anyone want to trade me for a devious beast? : :P

Edited to add: every trainer/competitor who has ever met him has immediately commented on his attitude...I wonder why they think my poor little dog has an attitude?

(Just so no one thinks that he's simply wild because he has no training....on good days he works GREAT and does most things perfectly - he just has more belligerent/rebellious days than he has days)

One day we'll get it right though, even if the only reason he behaves is because he's too old and arthritic to run away :P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Frustrating Animal

Oh, that soooo sounds like Belle when I first started her in agility. I think she was about 2 years old, and was before I ever thought of competeing in anything with her! I would get so frustrated that I would literally sit on her in class...pinned her to the ground with my legs. Kinda the precursoe to honoring in Rally. The other students would go through the course and there we would be Belle pinned to the ground and me, counting to 1,000!

lol welcome to my world or maybe i am now in yours.... Amber has an attitude when I go to correct her at times. A simple thing like asy a startline stay she will sometimes get up and step forward. I then walk back put her back and give a slight (I do mean slight) pop on the collar and she will at times bitte my hand. Now this bite is just a simple putting of her teeth on my hand but doing it lightning quick but no force. i don't want to mention how these things have escalated in the past but. She also used to play keep away from me too. I was one of the few students in class that had to have her on a short leash so i could catch her at the end. I did eventually go to an E-collar just for the recall and for the start line stays. i am still working on that in agility shows but we are doing extremely well in training ..untill last tuesday when I got the run screwed up and she got frustrated as I stopped and mouthed my hand as she went running by. She was making sure I knew she didn't approve of my mistake. Such a wonderful high drive dog and such a pain in the behind at times....but never boring...lol

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

While Robbie doesn't quite have the attitude .. the running away part is sure familiar..and gee when I finally come back I get a treat...hmmphhhhhhhh...that wasn't working so I finally worked on a system that seems to be doing a bit better...If he runs off but comes back as soon as called he does get a treat..but if he doesn't or I have to get he immediately gets put in his crate while several more dogs get their turns..then he is taken out again and gets to try his run again....I've also been telling him 'no'..and 'bad' when he runs off which didn't go over so well at first since we try to tell everyone to keep their actions positive but all he was getting at first was run away ...run back and get a treat..that sure wasn't teaching him anything..LOL

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has those renegade days.

ZRL

I'm thinking of using Zeke's nemesis, my OTHER dogs, to make Zeke behave.

Ie. When he starts acting obnoxious I could crate him/tie him out and then work with my other dogs. I'm quite sure he'd be extremely jealous....I just wonder how that jealousy will work out. Will he start behaving better so *he* gets the attention? Or will he just throw a temper tantrum (ie. bark and while and howl and cry)...

debjen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    I'm thinking of using Zeke's nemesis, my OTHER dogs, to make Zeke behave.

Ie. When he starts acting obnoxious I could crate him/tie him out and then work with my other dogs. I'm quite sure he'd be extremely jealous....I just wonder how that jealousy will work out. Will he start behaving better so *he* gets the attention? Or will he just throw a temper tantrum (ie. bark and while and howl and cry)...
    I've done that too..and it sometimes work..but yes the other has been known to whine about it but they don't get taken out until they are quiet.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum used to do that. She'd just up and leave me and would not come back. I was paying for private lessons, and my trainer at the time did not like any dicipline in the ring. I was wasting so much time chasing Magnum down (the privates were expensive) I had it. The next time Magnum left the ring, I looked at the trainer and said very nicely, "Excuse me a moment". I left the ring, marched across the field, grabbed Magnum, gave her hell all the way back to the ring, as soon as we stepped into the ring I said to her, "See it's fun in here, let's play!!!" in my really nice voice.

She learned very quickly that outside of the ring was not a fun place for her

ZRL

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I left the ring, marched across the field, grabbed Magnum, gave her hell all the way back to the ring, as soon as we stepped into the ring I said to her, "See it's fun in here, let's play!!!" in my really nice voice.

Unfortunately....Zeke refuses to be caught. :

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

At some point you have to catch him, right? ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast