Of Go Outs and Tv's

Thread: Of Go Outs and Tv's

Default Of Go Outs and Tv's

Amber is rather unlab like in being scared of judges and any person that has an interest in her. About 3 weeks ago she decided rather sudennly that TV's were really really scary. Now keep in mind that I have the Tv on all the time and the time she decided that it was scary it wasn't loud or anything she just decided it was scary she started staring at it and her ears went back and her head dropped and her tail dropped and she rather quickly slunk out of the room and peeked around the corner at the evil TV monster. My first reaction was to ignore Amber and see if she would self fix. durring this week she would be ok coming in and out of the room and playing fetch like she always did but it was like once in a while she would notice the TV and then slink out of the room to safety. Having a dog scared of being in a room with a TV just isn't going to fit with my lifestyle so I decided to see if i could fix this. Amber has a pretty good hand touch on command and is very food motivated. I decided these two things would be enough so I started by having her touch my hand with her nose and then i would give a treat. nothing ground breaking. Then I stood next to the tv and had her do a couple of touches. Again no problem. I then held the back of my hand against the TV screen and had her touch it. Then I turned the TV on and repeated the above steps. no problem though she was really watching the TV just to make suuure it didn't attack her but the power of hotdog bits won out. Then I just simply moved my hand out of the way on a few touches so she touched the TV screen. Then I stood back a step and told her to go touch. She hesitated I pointed and I could see the lightbulb go on!!! She touched the TV screen with her nose and got a bunch of treats. Never being one to turn down a chance for treats she quickly figured out the game. a couple of days later I could sit on the other side of the room and send her to go touch and she would bounce across the room to the TV and touch the screen and then turn and stare at me. I would then call her back and treat her or if she didn't actually touch or just touched the edge of the TV and not the screen I would tell her again to touch and she would then make a big effort to touch the center of the screen.
    After about 3 days of this she now offers this behavior if i have any food. If she starts to get worried over the TV I tell her to go touch and she then runs over and touches it and will stand there 6 inches from it. As I am not the brightest person I don't think to just keep a supply of treats in the room so instead I can offer play and praise and she seems to forget about the TV Monster. I am now thinking about using this same patern to send her to people that worry her. I will have to start with people who understand what is required and I think this might be our key to getting though the stand in utility. I will just have to get her to do this enough so she doesn't mind people and strangers. The other thing that occured to me is that I taught Amber to do a go out, or at least the beginings of one.
    I wrote this out just so you guys might get a kick out of my poor neurotic Amber and to see if anyone had any other tips that might help with my plan.

Thanks Everyone
    Kelly and Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Of Go Outs and Tv's

There was a woman at my local petsmart about a month ago that was having random people give her dog treats. He was scared of people and when he saw someone he wouldn't run but he'd stop DEAD in his tracks. She did this for several weeks (politely explaining her dog's situation and asking strangers if they could hand her dog a treat) apparently this really helped the dog to mellow out about strangers. Now the only problem is keeping the dog AWAY from people he doesn't know! He thinks everyone is gunna give him a treat! But I still think its a good idea. What I would do is start out by having peeps offer her treats and then eventually switch to having random people offer the dog praise and then eventually just stop asking random people to approach your dog. Hope some of this info is helpful!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Sounds liek a good idea! Be careful though that she does not get a static electricity shock from touching the T.V. screen!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

lol, yeah really! If that happened then she'd actually have a reason to be afraid!!! I like your training method. Perhaps I will do the same thing in teaching apollo to not be afraid of toys. I like the "touch and treat" technique. It seems very smart and very effective.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

puppyluv Guest

Oh I had not thot of the shocking the nose thing -- that would send them running pretty quick huh?

I have tried touching it myself several times (it has been very dry and windy here) and neither one of the TV's seem to produce a static electric shock so I think I am ok for that. And if anyone is going to get shocked it always seems to be me, I seem to attract static electricity.

Kelly and Amber

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Has Amber recently joined Netflix? Its sounds to me like she has gotten a hold of "The Ring":

Kelly, you really need to do a better job of screening what movies she watches. In the meantime, rent her a romantic comedy and let her leave a light on at night. That's what worked for me, anyway.

:P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I don't think that is it..I mean we were just watching "Frankendog" and then "Catzilla" And "Attack of the Killer Vacuums"

Kelly and Amber