What would you all do in this situation?
There are two, two-day shows offering rally in Saint Louis in May. I'd like to finish her Rally Novice title at the first one (or the second one if the first doesn't go well).
But...if she does finish at the first one, would you try to move her up to RA the next weekend? Or just show her in RN again? Or scratch? I don't want to enter just one of the shows- because if she doesn't finish her RN that weekend, I'd like to try it the next weekend. But I also don't want to enter both and then do anything at the second.
Plus, I can't decide if she'll be ready for RA or novice obedience by then. She's so smart and we work together almost everyday, but I'm worried about the off leash in a super distracting environment.
Don't know about Rally, but in that situation in the obedience ring, the dog would be entered in the same class at both trials. If the first one resulted in the title, the second show would be a "bonus leg" if he/she received a qualifying score. Did all that make sens?
I would enter both shows in Novice. You can make the decision whether to move up or not the morning of the show. You will need the move up form and give it to the superintendent prior to the start of the show. (not sure how many hours ahead though)
"In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden
Linda, Kona and Bo
Like was just said - you could wait to see if you got your title and move up before the next show - it has to be AT LEAST 30 minutes before the show - as soon as possible is best. Since the shows are in May - you have some time to work on your advanced stuff and try to work her with distractions prior to then. I had the same thing happen with Emilu last fall. We were entered in 2 shows back to back weekends. She got her title RN, the first weekend. I took her to the next weekend and only entered in one day and scratched the next day. We stayed in Rally Nocive because at that time we hadn't practiced for Advanced at all. Now the same problem is coming up again. We can enter 2 show back to back weekends and if all goes well, she could get her RA the first weekend and we could move up the second weekend - Not sure what I'll do.
I'd enter both sets of shows as Novice, and then move up the day of show in the second set of shows. I have done this alot with my kids in Rally. In fact I think I bumped Belle up from Rally Novice to Excellent at one point because we were entered in so many Rally trials so close together (and she qualified in all).
Just be sure everything is correct with your arm band numbers and the judges books if you move up. 99% of the time it is all correct, but there was one show last year where I had to get the AKC rep and the Superintendent to come to the ring to get it straightened out. (*Hats off to the AKC rep*, he did all the foot work and everything, as I was about to walk into the ring when it bacame apparent that the judges book, my armband number and the stewards did not all jive. The rep said it was FAR easier to get it all straightened out BEFORE the judge started and/or signed the book afterward).
Anyway, it is easy to move up day of show. Just find the Superintendent's table, and tell them you want to move up. You have to put it in writing on your entry form (which they have), initial it and date it. Then be sure to tell the stewards and judge...just to be sure it is correct.
Good luck and have fun! It is my personal preference to finish the Rally titles before I enter regular obedience. If you are worried about off leash, do teh Rally Advanced, 'cause you can talk to them if they do get distracted.
I would enter Novice in both shows and move up if I felt we were ready. FWIW, it doesn't hurt anything to stay in Novice to gain a little more experience either. It's a really big jump from showing entirely on lead to entirely off lead. Just ask my daughter who refused to stay in Novice after her 4th leg. After she showed her first time in Adv A she said "You were right. That was really hard. I wish I had stayed in Novice." : If you move up to Adv and get a leg, you can not move back to Novice (not even Novice B) if you decide you need more time in Novice. Something to think about.
Also, move ups need to occur before the show starts, not the class. That means prior to 8 am or whenever the first class (be it conformation, agility, obedience or whatever) starts. When I've moved up, I've always done it the day before (ie got my title on Sat, submitted move up paperwork on Sat for Sun) because I don't want to get up at the crack of dawn when I don't have to show until noon.
I'd probably only enter one day, one show, for the leg I need and then take some time off for practicing for the next show when I would enter for the Advanced class.
I would do that...but the problem is that there are two, two-day shows back to back in May and then not any shows that are in Missouri when I'm in town until September (when I've started back to school). So I would like to wrap up her rally title in May.
well its a gamble If you feel confident in your dogs ability to Q then only enter one show. If you feeel totally confident in your dog being ready for rally advanced then enter all 4 shows and move up to advanced after you get your novice title. If your dog Q's all 4 days and you do move ups then you will have your Rn and RA titles. I wouldn't risk entering Novice obedience until I was ready though it can take months and months to correct for going in to early I know because I did that with Amber. The Rally advanced is a really good place to judge if your dog is ready for novice obedience.
Kelly and Amber
Does Gabby have one or two RN legs?