question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question

Defaultquestion

In order to get an obedience title, does it have to be the same handler/dog team all the way through? Say I break my leg the day before a show. Could my boyfriend show her and have that count towards her title?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: question

Yes, your boyfriend could show her. It's how many legs the dog gets... it doesn't matter what human is at the other end of the leash

The titles are based on the dog, not the handler, however,in the A classes only the dog's owner or immediate family can show the dog. In the B classes anyone can show the dog. Also, if both you and your boyfriend are listed as the dog's owner and you enter the dog in Nov A but your boyfriend has previously titled a dog, he could not show the dog because he can only show in B.For example, my daughter shows Essy in Nov A. If she could not show for some reason, I could not step in and show Essy because I've already titled another dog but my SU could show her (yeah right. ) Does that make sense?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yep Thanks- just a curiosity question.

Yes only a person that has not titled a dog in obedience may show a dog in Novice A and as long as they are a member of your imediate family or are a member of the dogs household. Any person can handle your dog if you enter in Novice B. Novice A and B classes are exctly the same and must be judged exactly the same. You have a much better chance of getting a ribbon in an "A" class than in a "B" class because all the handlers in "B" have already completed an obedience title on a dog before.

Kelly and Amber

Okay, another question. Theoretically, my boyfriend is a member of my dog's household. But is she's registered to me and me only, can he still show her (in A classes)?

I looked it up in the rule book and it states husband,wife,father,mother,son,daughter,brother,si ster,father-in-law,mother-in-law , son-in-law,daughter-in-law, brother-in-law,sister-in-law. I thought there was an exception for step children,parents etc. but I don't think boyfriend qualifiys. If you are living as a couple though I would think that the Household part would apply. I don't think there is anyway that the AKC could prove that your boyfriend isn't related to you unless they did a genealogy background check. So as long as you both use the same adress everything should be fine. One other thing you could do is add your BF on your dogs registration as a co-owner and then you are fine no matter what. Just call the AKC and ask them for the right form to do that. all the numbers and forms are probably on the website " www.akc.org"

Kelly and Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    One other thing you could do is add your BF on your dogs registration as a co-owner and then you are fine no matter what. Just call the AKC and ask them for the right form to do that. all the numbers and forms are probably on the website " www.akc.org"
    Kelly and Amber
    I might be cautious doing that. That gives the boyfriend rights to the dog should something happen to Laura. While she and her boyfriend might be best buddies now, you never can tell what might happen in the future. To me it wouldn't be worth it for a potential handling issue in three Novice A classes. Anyways, they don't ask for I.D's when you check in and compare with the premium or when you walk in the ring. No one would ever know the difference.

I am a co-own on one of my dogs so that I DO have rights to the dog if something happens to the owner...(his wife is an ass) ...amongst other reasons for co-ownership on this dog.

That rules applies to all A classes so Open A and Utility A would be included in that as well so that is a minimum of 9 classes. Not to mention Rally which would be another 9 classes.

Personally I wouldn't advise adding anyone to the dogs papers unless absolutely necessary. The chances that something would happen to you so you couldn't show would be very slim and even if they did we are talking about what, $25 bucks (cost of entry) to scratch?

Law school has made me too cynical to add anyone to a dog's papers (or a mortgage or anything else like that). It really was just a curiosity question. Thanks for clearing it up though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast