Frustrated...again :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated...again :(

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrustrated...again :(

I can't get Buck to sit straight next to me when we halt. Or sit straight when we do "fronts" He was doing it all relatively straight but now it's all lopp sided! I don't know what I did wrong...
    Also, he is doing a new thing. I say "Front" he comes around front of me goes into a sit and then straight to a down! Sometimes he follows the down with a play "dead" : Lord knows what I am doing to make him do this... :

How did you guys get your labs to do things straight? We are going to rally class on thursday...but wanted to know before then so we can practice it right and not make the problem worse between now and thursday....

Sometimes I feel like we will never get to compete at this rate...I never know what I am doing wrong :-\
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Frustrated...again :(

Try healing along a wall so that he has to sit straight...also can use a dowel or your hand as soon as you stop use either to put him in a straight sit...I also use a term like "get it in"..or straight or something to indicate moving it in...for the front you could try giving the sit command and a stay command to prevent him from going down...or you could give a release as soon as he sits before he has a chance to go down....they will often try to offer behaviors to see what you want if they aren't really sure what they are suppose to be doing..as in gee mom is always happy when I do a down maybe if I do a down here she'll be happy.

Ooo the heeling along a wall is a great idea! I will start doing that.

Thanks for the tips! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would suggest heeling against a wall (or couch) so that he has no other choice but to sit straight. And, if you're working away from a wall, only reward the straight sits!!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

For a straight sit when the dog comes front (like in a recall), we've used broad jump boards to form a "funnel." We've also used legs (I'm sitting on a couch, Scotty coming front) to form a "funnel" to get a straight front. We're also working on fine-tuning it with me stepping back on one leg and using the other leg as a guide to get his butt straight depending on which side he's crooked.

Also, on sitting straight on halts, I think heeling along a curb on a higher side works great. Get the dog heeling close to the edge so when you halt and he does not sit straight, his butt will be hanging off the curb. Scotty did not like that feeling much, so he'd get his butt in right away. Curbs are not high to hurt the dog, and actually Scotty never stepped off or fell off hte curb.

Whenever Gabby starts sitting sloppy, we go back to sits along the wall only. We don't do any "free" sits until about 4-5 practice sessions against the wall.

The other thing that has worked for us is having her get up onto a tupperware/rubbermaid container and sit there. Whenever she starts to move into a sloppy sit, I gently nudge the container with my foot so it destabilizes her (just a tiny bit, i don't cause an earthquake or anything). Eventually, sloppy sit-= destabilized, good sit=firm footing.

We actually used the tupperware container method to teach her stand as well.

Straight sits can also really be helped if you require a really fast sit. A quick sit doesn't give them time to sit qrooked. On leash walk in a heel at a really fast pace and get ready to pull up on the leash with your right hand and guide the dogs hips down with the other. Come to really quick exagerated stops always using the same footwork and and place in sit position really really quickly. After a few weeks of placing you can go to teh correction phase of poping up on the leash if your dog doesn't sit instantly (or at least really really quickly). The speed that you walk and stop will soon determine how fast your dog sits. Also if the dog is in the motion of sitting you can slap him in the loin if he is starting to swing out crooked (most dogs sit crooked away from you so they can keep an eye on you). If your dog got sitted crooked and beat you to it you just have to be quicker next time. On the come front for rally you can just keep backing up for now to get a straight sit, take one or two extra steps backward. On a recall again you can use the leash to guide and require a fast sit. You can also use a heeling stick or a jump stick to get a straight sit by giving a tap on the backside to guide Buck straight.
    The biggest mistake most new handlers make is not heeling fast enough. Dogs can easily out pace people. I know when I am walking with someone that walks really slow I look around and take in the sights. Dogs do the same thing the slower we walk the less attention they give us. The faster we walk the more attention they give us. Dogs also take as much time as you give them to do something like sit. If you give them alot of time they take alot of time. One other thing that often gets dogs to sit straight is everytime they sit crooked, make a left turn and go quickly as you start heeling again. Dogs love to anticipate and will naturally begin to set themselves up for the next thing.
    All training should be done and proofed on leash before you do anything off leash.

Kelly and Amber

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

A technique I am going to try is one I saw in a seminar.
    But building a small box out of pvc and training your dog to sit square in the box. The box is only big enough for the dog to be in the sitting position in it. It was a clicker training class.
    Teaching the dog to straight in the box, click, treat.
    My girl knows and understands the "box" command for UKC agility, so I am hoping that will speed things along. I just make the box smaller.

I can sort of live with some sloppy healing, but I for once would live a pretty front & finish

I use the healing against a wall method and it works pretty good. My girl is a wide healer.
    Kim

Thank you for all the tips guys!

I tried the heeling and sitting along a wall. This really helped. We did a bunch of sessions against the wall and coffee table. Then I tried away from a wall and his sit had improved significantly. So, I am going back to the wall practices to make it "perfect".

For the fronts...I do take a step back when I call him to do a front and then take a step forward and this helps with a straight sit.
    It's when I take a step to the side and call for a front...he gets crooked.

I guide him into a straight sit but I was wondering if this is making him think that I have to guide him into it? Or will he get the idea that he has to do it on his own ?

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    A technique I am going to try is one I saw in a seminar.
    But building a small box out of pvc and training your dog to sit square in the box. The box is only big enough for the dog to be in the sitting position in it.
    This is similar to what I use. I build a raised platform out of wood. The board is only as big as the dog from tip of toes to his rear when sitting and only as wide as his hips. I nail 1x1s underneath the edges to slightly raise the platform. Then I heel around and over the board, stopping on it occasionally. If the dog doesn't sit straight, he will fall off. I use the same board for fronts and go outs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast