Sun match

Thread: Sun match

DefaultSun match

I took the dogs to a match today. Conformation was a sanctioned B match and obedience was a fun match.

I did 2 Utility run thrus with Murray. He did really well with both. The first time the go outs were a little short and the judge asked if I wanted to correct him. I said "No. I'm working on one issue at a time. He's out far enough and he sat when asked so I'm good." I've been using my mean voice to make him sit and so far it seems to be working. We had glove #3 and Murray didn't even glance at #2. ;D Our 2nd run thru was after all of UA and UB had run. The judge gave us a UB sequence. I started to say something then said "ah what the heck" and went with it. We started with articles so that really had Murray on his toes right off the bat. He did all the exercises confidently and with attitude. The go outs in particular were AWESOME!!!! All the way WITH a sit! ;D After we were done, everyone that had been watching clapped and commented on the nice run. I said "well I hope we didn't just use up our Qs for the upcoming show."

Essy was entered in conformation only. She did very well considering the inept handler on the other end of the lead (that would be me). She won her class, BOB, and G4. Not too shabby for a first time out. There was a professional handler there giving 30 min handling classes so I signed up. She really focused on the handler instead of the dog (unusual out here anyway). She showed me things I was doing wrong (I hover and crowd) and things I could do better (control the head better and bait better). I feel much more confident in my handling abilities now. I also found out she teaches classes on my side of town so I'm going to try to catch a couple more classes before the shows March 2-5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sun match

Sounds like we all had a good day with our boys (and gal)!! That is great about the lessons for handling.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lydia, that is great!!!!! Now, just for the real thing!

Sounds good about the breed ring. Nice day for you. Caleb's handler also teaches classes and has helped me a lot. It's fun, but still like the obedience ring better! But, that is me.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    It's fun, but still like the obedience ring better! But, that is me. [/color]
    Me too. I hate breed. It's too subjective. One day this dog wins. The very next day that dog is last. Nothing changed except some person's opinion. Give me black/white, pass/fail any day. I'm only doing breed because Essy is a co-owned show prospect. If I had been smart I would have changed the contract that I'll show her in everything EXCEPT breed and let the breeder show her there.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean about the breed ring. Man, with obedience I can come home and work on something rather than be subject to someone's opinion. That is why I don't show Caleb a lot in breed. He's pointed and has gone BOB over specials and that just might be it for him.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a wonderful day all around

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, sounds like Murray is really ready for some Q's. Nice job.
    And kudos to you for showing breed. I will never show it. Can't stand it. After years of showing my horse in the "halter/conformation" classes, I no longer have the desire to pay for a person's opinion. I'd rather enter the ring with a top score and then as I goof up I lose points (or the dog loses points).

When is your next show? Good luck.

It sounds like you had a really fun time! I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet soon!

Quote Originally Posted by raian

When is your next show? Good luck.
    Our next show is a 4 day cluster. Murray is in UA and 3 agility classes all 4 days. Essy is in Am Bred all 4 days. I'll be in the mental ward by day 5.