NADAC Jr Handler Agility Trial

Thread: NADAC Jr Handler Agility Trial

DefaultNADAC Jr Handler Agility Trial

My daughter competed in her first NADAC Jr Handler Agility trial today (only the 3rd trial of its kind in the nation...2nd time this particular club has held it). She ran Murray and Essy in 2 standard runs, 1 jumpers run, and 1 tunnelers run.

Things started out kind of rocky because I tried to hide from the dogs (disappeared as Meghan took them from their crates) thinking they wouldn't be distracted by me then. Essy was fine with it but Murray decided he needed to find me ASAP because obviously I was lost. : He left the ring searching in and out of everyone's set ups. Boy was he surprised when he "found" me and I growled at him to get back in the ring. > The judge was awesome and let Meghan and Murray continue. Essy did a spectacular fly off the teeter in her first run. It was part of the distance challenge (ie NADACs version of the gamble which is a required element on the std course). I didn't think they were quite ready for that type of challenge but the 2nd round teeter was much better but they didn't complete the dog walk at all (distance challenge #2). Meghan wasn't sure she could step over the line so she didn't try to get Essy back on the dogwalk to finish the course. On the other hand, Essy's weaves were AWESOME! Many of the other dogs wouldn't do the weaves. Essy got right in and did her thing. ;D

Both dogs did better and better as the day went on. I didn't hide from Murray anymore which seemed to help tremendously. He was fine to run with Meghan as long as he knew he had my approval which included looking back over his shoulder at me while sitting at the start line. What a mama's boy. : Murray Qd in the 2nd round and both dogs ran clean in jumpers and tunnelers but they didn't make time. It was noon and 85 degrees by the time they ran those classes so both dogs and Meghan were "done". It doesn't help that Meghan doesn't yet have the speed necessary to motivate the dogs to move. They just kind of gallop along beside her. Murray only missed the jumpers Q by less than 1 second.

NADAC gives ribbons to anyone who completes the course so Meghan came home with an armload. She got 7 ribbons...four 2nd and three 3rds plus 1 Q out of 8 runs (I guess that's technically 8 ribbons). She also was given a trophy for her first ever NADAC Q and the club gave cool tye dye t-shirts to each of the jr handlers. Not a bad days haul if I say so myself. She hasn't stopped smiling since. She can't wait to show them off at her agility class (all adults except for her) on Mon. I think she's hooked. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NADAC Jr Handler Agility Trial

Congrats to your daughter. What a day!!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds great! Glad it went well for Mehgan. Murray is such a hoot!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yay!

It was an entire trial just for junior handlers? That's pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by agilityretrievers
    It was an entire trial just for junior handlers? That's pretty neat.
    Yes, just juniors. It was a lot of fun to get to watch instead of compete. All the girls were so friendly, supportive, and helpful. They were an awesome group.