Zeke has returned to training after his short hiatus....

Thread: Zeke has returned to training after his short hiatus....

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultZeke has returned to training after his short hiatus....

And he seems to be doing better. I tweaked and re-evaluated some methods etc and I think I have finally found something that works. He's outside right now (my mom is cooking supper :P) barking because he wants to "play" more. He was very upset to stop ;D

ETA: Oh, it might make more sense if I explained that I switched him to 99.9% positive training. Corrections, even impartial ones, make him unsure of himself and so he quits. For example, he broke heel at a rally match to go pounce on a scottish deerhound. I grabbed his collar kind of quicklybecause I was afraid he'd get into trouble. About 2 sec later when I released him, he left the ring because he'd been "corrected."
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Zeke has returned to training after his short hiatus....

It's tough to find that fine line for each dog. Murray has never liked (maybe "like" is the wrong word but it's late and I can't think of a better one) physical corrections (leash pops, grabbing the collar or sticking my leg out to correct a front, etc) that's why I started training with an ecollar. It made a world of difference in his attitude because he never associated the nicks with me whereas the other forms of correction were definitely coming from me which crushed him.

It's also a good plan to leave 'em wanting more. ;D