I am dropping my advanced obedience "class"

Thread: I am dropping my advanced obedience "class"

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultI am dropping my advanced obedience "class"

I have been going to an advanced obedience class for over a year now. You have all followed the saga of my experiences with the "obedience nazi" as I "fondly" call her. Emilu and I have learned a great deal and I appreciate it. Even though the instructor and I definelty don't "click" for whatever reason, and she has said about 2 good things concerning Emilu in a year, I continued to go, because I felt the class had a lot to offer (even though half the time I cried half the way home from fatigue and frustration). They changed the night that advanced obedience was offered and the instructor can no longer teach the "official" class, so we have been meeting every other Monday from 7-9 for "practice session". I am also attending the "novce obedience" class offered on Thursday by a different instructor. I find myself completley exhausted on Mondays and also cannot tolerate traveling over 100 miles after work twice a week. As it is, I am still going to do it twice a month because of the training club meeting and my lab club meeting in Columbus once a month. So I have decided to drop the Monday class and just continue with the Thursday one. I really like the class better, and it only lasts an hour, which both Emilu and I tolerate much better. I feel happy and energetic when we leave. I'm not sure I'll learn as much about dog training as I did in the other class, but what I learn will be in a much less stessful environment.. and guess what??? This instructor doesn't teach "force-fetching" for retrieves - she does all "positive training".. sounds like my kinda gal

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am quitting my advanced obedience "class"

Sounds like a good decision..everyone will learn better in a less stressful environment

It's important that you are comfortable with your instructor. You need to agree on training methods and personality. You stuck it out for 1 yr. No one can fault you for not trying to make it work. Hopefully this new class will make training fun for you again. That's what it's all about, isn't it...having fun with the dog?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I understand how you feel. There are instructors at my club that I avoid. Like you, when I have taken classes form these people, I end up discouraged at the end of the class. I have no doubt that the dog picks up on yur attitude if you go into the class dreading it.

It's amazing what a little encouragement will do to perk up your spirits and attitude. A good instructor can make all the difference in the world.

Congratulations on your decision, and I hope the classes you are continueing with make life a lot simplier for you!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am dropping my advanced obedience "class"

Feeling comfortable with your instructor is so very important. Took me a while to find someone I really liked that seemed to be a fit.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

DefaultRe: I am dropping my advanced obedience "class"

You are very lucky that you have more then one instructor remotely 'local' to you, I have one, and luckily, they don't seem to pick on me like they do most people.

I am glad you are making a move. Sounds like the 'Nazi' had to go!