Anyone involved in tracking?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone involved in tracking?

WigWag Guest

DefaultAnyone involved in tracking?

SU has taken up search and rescue training and I was wondering about tracking tests as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone involved in tracking?

I'm not involved in tracking currently but it is something I hope to do eventually (need it for Murray's versatility title). The issue I have with tracking is that you train all year long for the one test we have here in AZ but they only allow 2 or 3 people to enter. It's by lottery so you could train and never get in the test. When they make it so everyone (or most everyone) who enters can take the test, then I'll be more inclined to spend my time/money training for it. In the meantime, I focus my energy on events I actually have a chance of entering.

I agree with Lydia. Tracking tests are hard to get into. I think you have to get pre-certified also.

Belle is a blood tracker for wounded deer

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We've been training for tracking test (TD) since November. We're going to try to certify within a month and crossing my fingers that we'll be able to get into the test.

However, tracking that is done for AKC tests is somewhat different from tracking that search and rescue dogs do. Tracking for test is done by ground scenting, which is inefficient in real search and rescue situations where dogs do air scenting more than ground scenting. Training is similar and if your husband wants to use Wigeon as a search and rescue dog, I would not worry about AKC tracking tests and find somebody who trains for search and rescue.

We're certified, but could not get into any tests locally, or even as far away as Nova Scotia and Wyoming.

Search and rescue and actual tracking, from what I have been told, are two quite different things. S&R more air scenting, and tracking being just that, following a track.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Lydia, that is why I never got involved in it. I'm not going to put all the time and effort into training it if I can't actually show in it. I've been told some people take years to get into the "lottery" for a chance to run a test.

Personally, I'd like the see the AKC drop this (tracking) from the Versatility award and instead have whatever breed of dog you own do what it was bred to do.. .like labs, they could get a JH title instead of the tracking. Or sight hounds could do the lure coursing. etc.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

We just started this year. The dogs are a natural, but reading and trusting your dog is another thing.
    I love it and love watching the dogs track. Facinating!
    Not sure if we will ever get a TD since they don't come around often and I have been warned by our training (a tacking judge) to not rush the process. Far to often people rush from training to a test and find out they and their dog were far from ready.

Kim

Yes, you do have to be precertified by an AKC tracking judge (you get 4 certificates that let you enter 4 TD tests within 1 year) The certificate test is supposed to be equivilant to an actual TD test and you must pass it as you would a TD test. Two judges are required to judge each tracking team. The judges can only judge 12 TD tests a day or 6 TDX tests a day and usually split it So they judge 6 TD's and 3 TDX's in a day. The good rules covering Td tests are that if you do NOT have a TD title you must be given first priority for entry into the TD test. If you pass one TD test you are awarded a TD title. Also if a dog is scratched from a TD test even up to time of start an Alternate dog may fill the spot and take the test.
    As for Arizona there is only 1 tracking judge and 1 provisional judge in the whole state. You can find a list of tracking judges by going to the AKC website and searching form judges on the judges directory. There are only 3 active judges in southern California. However our tracking tests aren't even filling up and we are starting to cancell some of them, so if anyone wants to come to Southern California and do a tracking test here the odds are pretty good you will get in.

Kelly and Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    However our tracking tests aren't even filling up and we are starting to cancell some of them, so if anyone wants to come to Southern California and do a tracking test here the odds are pretty good you will get in.
    Really? Then I'll definitely have to give this more thought. I love SoCal and the drive is doable.

I am going to go to the tracking test in Riverside Ca on March 4th. I voluntered but haven't heard back yet. If they don't need my help I am going to just go watch and hopefully talk to a judge about what all is required and so forth. I just recieved the premium list for it and they also stated that if there are only 2 tdx aplicants they will add two more TD aplicants to the test for a total of 8 TD's and 2 TDX's. I will report back on this after I watch to let everyone know how many entries there were and how many showed up etc. The fee for this test I am going to is 37 for the TD and 57 for the TDX, but I have seen them range up to 60 for the TD and 100 for the TDX. I did a search on the last years tests and it seemed like most only had 2 or 3 entries in this area.
    And I think part of the problem is that no one trains tracking around here.

Kelly and Amber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast