Agility - Not sure if this is the right place...

Thread: Agility - Not sure if this is the right place...

DefaultAgility - Not sure if this is the right place...

Hi All:

I am interested in finding out more about agility training/competition in Canada for my pup. Specifically, I would like to know what is required of beginners in terms of their age, obedience training, skill level, etc. How does one get involved in this type of thing?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility - Not sure if this is the right place...

There are two main agility organizations in Canada

Canadian Kennel Club offers agility for all CKC registered breeds.

Agility Association of Canada is open to all dogs, mixes and purebreeds.

Most people will put their puppies through at least one basic obedience course before starting agility training, but there are puppy agility classes which introduce some obstacles (tunnels, wobble boards, tables) as well as teaching obedience skills needed in the game (working on either side of you, moving away from you and coming back, sit and down stay, and so on).

Where are you located? Most major cities have at least one agility training school...

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Most good agility instructors whether in the States or Canada will suggest waiting until you dog is close to 2 years old so the growth plates are closed. This will help lessen the possibility of injury. Also most will require some basic obedience as well.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am in Calgary. He's not 2 yet though.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Ah! my old stomping grounds.

Here's two schools for ya:

http://www.sithappens.org/ (winner of the prize for BEST TRAINING SCHOOL NAME ;D) - basic obedience and clicker, which will stand you in good stead for agility

http://www.superdogspectrum.ca/cfm/d...id=224&sid=226

obedience and agility.

You could also ask the Spruce Meadows PrairieDogs folks for other recommendations

http://www.auburnmist.com/prairiedogs/prairiedogs.htm

I agree that a good hold on basic obedience is a must for agility. While you don't want to jump your dog full height before he's fully grown, you can definitely start agility training from day one. Many clubs/schools have puppy agility or you can also do a regular class, just ask to be in the small dogs group. My 11 month old, Puzzle, can run a full course (jumps at 4"/weaves staggered) and she'll be ready to start the "big girl" stuff this summer, pending her OFA prelim results

And you can start training before two years of age , but....you shouldn't jump near full height or do weaves till they have matured. So you will end up training contacts (not at full height) and you will learn to get your dog to run with you (not as easy as it sounds) and teaching a bunch of other safe things, stays, sits sitting on either side of you, turn as a command etc.. And teaching your dog some things like the fact that it has back legs and to be aware of them. Its a fun way to bond with your dog. you might also check to see if CPE " www.k9cpe.com " is offering events in your area. It is very fun and rather addictive.

Kelly and Amber