how do i get started?

Thread: how do i get started?

Defaulthow do i get started?

i was wondering how to start bruno off in tracking.i dont want to do anything pro with him-more for fun and to help keep him active.i havent done anything like this before and would love it if someone could give me some starting tips

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: how do i get started?

Well, the first thing I did was bought a book called "TRACKING DOG- THEORY AND METHODS by Glen Johnson" The book is very good and I followed the methods pretty well right on, and ended up with a fairly reliable little tracker.

The next important thing to do is to have a friend do it with you, that made all the difference for me!

You do need a few things to track, a long line, a lot of land, and a patient friend who is willing to do whatever you ask!

Here is Ruby's tracking web page. I am really kinda upset that we don't track so much anymore, as she really loved it. But alas, I had to go back to work and my instructor's husband needed a new hip...thems the breaks!

Good luck to you! Where are you located?

thanks alot i live in mansfield in nottingham.im pretty luck cos even though i live on a council estate i have alot of open areas very close by,including quite a large wood.it looks like my mum or my sister-in-law are in for some exercise thanks for the info on the book i'll defiantly keep my eye out for it in my local book store (or see if they can order it for me). do you think it would be a good idea to start by playing a few games of hide and seek sort of thing in the house and garden first?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I got my book on Amazon, for dirt cheap.

As for playing games of hide and seek, he will be more visually looking for you and air scenting then actual following your track...that's always fun though!