She might not ever Q in Open, but she's a prize to me !

Thread: She might not ever Q in Open, but she's a prize to me !

patm is offline Senior Member

SmileShe might not ever Q in Open, but she's a prize to me !

Every once in a while we talk about how the exercises in Obedience relate to real life, and if they have relevence. Well, the other day I took Emilu "shopping" with me. She stayed nicely in the car with her fan, while I quickly ran into Walmart. Then she shopped for mulch with me, walking quielty by my side, sitting and laying down when told to, not pulling, "standing for exam" (you might call it petting ) and in general just being a really nice dog to go with me. Then she went to look for planting containers, and "jumped up" on some railroad ties to avoid a big puddle.And I'm sure she would have picked up some objects for me if I had asked to to, or do a "long down" while I looked at things. Obedience training has made her a pleasure to be around in new situations, without her falling apart or getting too excited. Of course we didn't see any dogs - I might be telling a different story if we had

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Yay, Emilu! That's more important to me than all the titles in the world. It was always such a pleasure to take Mick places because he knew how to behave. I'll never forget the time we took him to a truck show, and he went inside with me to get a shirt. The lady at the table saw the leash in my hand and asked me what kind of dog I had. She didn't believe me when I said Lab mix until she looked under the table. There was our Grand Old Man laying at my feet, under the table so he was out of the way. Caleb isn't up to "Mick standards" yet, but he sure is getting there.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I'm one of those obedience people who will always say what is the use of having a great competition dog if it does not have basic manners for every day life. That is what it is all about. Great Pat!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Way to go Emilu! Yes, the benefits of obedience training in everyday life are numerous. Sometimes I forget just how integral they are to our everyday life until someone from the general public comments about how well behaved my kids are, and to me, their behavior is just a fact of life!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

great! isn't it nice to have a dog you can take everywhere with you.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

The best award for any dog you own is when a stranger says you have a nice well behaved dog!!! Less than 1/10 of a percent of an Obedience dogs life is in the ring the rest is spent in the real world and that is where it all matters.

Kelly and Amber
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Nice job with Emilu!

I know, I get asked all the time how I manage to take photos of all 3 of mine at the same time, but it's because they have been taught to STAY. That, to me, is one of the best commands a dog owner can teach