Thinking of getting back on the horse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting back on the horse

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultThinking of getting back on the horse

Well, after Simon's NQ a couple of weeks ago, I felt pretty deflated for a few days. But I have been getting some pep talks and I think I'm ready to try again. Oh man, but this time I am going to be super-scared that we will NQ again!!!!

I would have expected an NQ from Angus, but Simon?! Shocking. Now I feel like my Steady Eddie is a little unstable. :-\

Well, at any rate, I just can't leave one leg just hanging out there. It's bugging me. And the sooner he gets that one leg, the sooner we can all be back in the A classes!

I wonder if I ought to try Advanced with Angus. I actually think I am less scared of him off-leash now than I am Simon.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thinking of getting back on the horse

Glad to hear you are getting back into it! I NQ'd in regular obedience A LOT with Belle, both in Novice and Open. Once we got it all together though, it was SO satisfying!

Hang in there!

It's hard to NQ. You put in months and years of preparation and expect it to pay off at a trial. That dosen't always happen and that is definately the frustrating part. What I find is more than likely the NQ is my fault. I was nervous and my signals were not as clear or I did not give my commands soon enough. The environment is different and overstimulating and I did not give my dog a chance to get used to it and calm down. I am competing in dog agility. I went from Novice to Excellent in a year and I have noticed huge changes in how I react to the courses and how my dog reacts to me. I try to remind myself that alot of the pressure that I feel is self imposed. I was given this advice from a trainer I really expect. Set a goal each time you compete. For example "Maddie will complete twelve weave poles without popping out at number 10". Then use that goal to determine if you had success. I used this in my last trial. Maddie got all twelve weave poles. I was so happy but I still NQ'd. The judge thought I missed a contact but, my husband and my friends all saw her get the contact. I came home and was disappointed that I NQ'd but reminded myself that she made her goal. I was proud. A day later I got the catalog for the event and I had Q'd and also got first place. I was so surprised. The judge made an error on the contact and I hadn't even looked to see how we did. I was so focused on my goal with the weaves. Don't doubt yourselves. It will all fall into place.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Connie, good to see you being determined to get back in the game. I've seen many obedience trials by now to pretty much come to a conclusion that everybody NQ's once in a while. Even the best of the best NQ. It's a part of the game. I love what agilitymom said about setting a specific goal in each trial and being happy for achieving that whether you Q or not. My goal for today is not to faint in the ring from being overwhelmed!

patm is offline Senior Member

Did you ever tell us what happened with Simon in the ring? I missed it if you did. I know that Simon appeared to do better and be more steady than Angus - but didn't have the experience and time that you have put into Angus. I do hope you keep showing. You guys can do it!

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Did you ever tell us what happened with Simon in the ring? I missed it if you did.
    Connie posted about in this thread further down. https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,33155.0.html
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Even though it is very disapointing to NQ, it is not the end of the world. I look at it as what I need to go home and work on. Is it me? Is it one of the exercises? We so often look at it as personal failure rather than seeing area that just need worked on. You'll do great! What dog trainer/competitor has not NQ'd? We all have! Even the very best in the nation NQ! Go for it!!!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    What dog trainer/competitor has not NQ'd? We all have! Even the very best in the nation NQ! Go for it!!!!!
    Ditto! Get back up on that horse and try, try again. We all know you can do it!!!

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

I think what agilitymom said in her post is something we all have to remember. We put the pressure to succeed on ourselves and feel let down when we NQ. When I was just starting in Agility, a judge had some good advice for the Novice competitors. He said we would all come out the ring remembering the one thing we did wrong rather than the 10-12 things we did right. His advice - focus on your successes and work on the thing that didn't work but do not forget what did work. The best handlers have occasional NQ's and I am sure they are dispappointed when that happens but they know the next class or next day, they will Q. I have to remember that too.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Aww Connie...I didn't know you were feeling that way. You have to remember you are working with another living, breathing, thinking animal. You can't control everything they do every day. If that were true, you'd have a robot and really, what fun would that be? You can't take it personally. Dogs have bad days just like we do. Believe me, no one thinks poorly of you for NQing. Just about everyone has been there at one time or another so they know how disappointed you are but they do not think badly of you. Just think, many people never develop the working relationship like the one you have with your dogs. Many people never step foot in an obedience or rally ring. Remember, you are one of the ELITE dog trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by agilitymom
    Set a goal each time you compete.
    This is what I do. It helps with nerves too because you are focused on one thing only rather than 15. As you meet each little goal, they eventually all add up into one big Q. This is particularly true in Utility where there are only 5 exercises yet a million ways to NQ. I'd go insane trying to make sure that each and every little thing was perfect each and every time I went in the ring. I just focus on one thing. If it's at the beginning of the run (signals for example) then after we do signals, it's just play time. We met our goal. It's ok if we NQ as long as we met our goal because next time signals are going to be great and our goal will be getting the correct article, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast