Head collar

Thread: Head collar

DefaultHead collar

My 9month old choc lab Mackie has had to start wearing a head collar on his walks as he is a nightmare without it - can pull me off my feet and into any pond he feels necessery!!
    Anyway for some odd reason he snarls at me every now and agen on the walk and growls, whilst trying to remove his head collar, although he does not mind wearing it - he is fine one minuite trotting along sniffing everything then he turns on me...any suggestions why?
    Many thanks
    Ellie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Head collar

You may want to move this into the Training Tips and Puppy Advice section as this is main for competetive obedience/tracking and other dog sports. You should take advantage of getting more people to see your question so you can get the proper help.

Work with a qualified trainer in your area. The pulling and the growling are two separate issues that need to be addressed before it gets worse.

Also, you probably need to have a vet check him for pain. Many dogs growl/are snappish when in pain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

what sort of head collar are you using?i tryed bru with a halti-one of the popular on the market i believe,and one that alot of people have alot of success with.bru however HATED it.i didnt realize why at first,but after closer inspection i realized that it was riding up into his eyes,causing him some discomfort.i now use a canny collar.bru loves it-and so do i.alot more controle (he pulls so much he could rip your arm out its socket .also with the canny it doesnt yank the head sideways like the halti,which ive read could cause neck problems.maybe little mackies having the same problem with it riding up,or maybe its hurting his neck.but i would defiantly see someone who knows more about it.