weekend update

Thread: weekend update

Defaultweekend update

Well we can add 2 more NQs to our lengthy UA record.

Sat Murray was back to his old tricks. As usual, we had a very nice run going until the go outs. The first go out he went out to the right hand corner and sat. Not straight but YEA! He sat! I signaled the high jump (thankfully he was sitting behind it) and he took it. YEA! Unfortunately he put his landing gear down early. He hooked his back feet on the top board of the jump and pulled the entire jump over (individual boards are not displacable). BOO! > So much for my agility dog. : The next go out he went out straight YEA! but went back to his old tricks. He immediately turned and took the bar jump without waiting for my signal. >

Everyone was so concerned about him pulling the jump over. They kept saying he would be afraid of the jump. I told them he's fine. It didn't even phase him. He didn't even startle when it crashed behind him.

Our scores were:

Signals 37/40
    Article #1 29/30
    Article #2 27.5/30
    Gloves 27.5/30 (we got glove #2 ;D )
    Moving Stand 28.5/30
    Directed Jumping NQ

We were working on a 189.5 going into the DJ.

One of my friends got her 2nd leg so we all celebrated. She was the only qualifier.

I really hoped we'd do better on Sun but it was not to be. Again, Murray was working really well. Today someone showed up who was absent yesterday which bumped us to glove #3. I hoped against hope that he would get the correct glove but I knew that was our first sign of trouble. We pivoted to glove #3. I saw that he marked it and I sent him. He took 2 steps toward #3 then suddenly veered off to #2 which must have been calling "Murray...pssst... over here. I have cookies!" or something to draw his attention like that. > The Brat! Go outs were OK. The first time he went to the right corner again. What is it with that corner? Thankfully we got the high jump again which was again in front of him. Hmmm...maybe he has telepathy. :-\ The judge said "high" and before it could register in my brain Murray was on the move so I quickly flung my arm out for the signal without giving the verbal. I'm not sure if it fooled the judge or not though. Murray jumped it without taking it down this time. ;D YEA! The second go out Murray went out straight. He didn't sit but he didn't walk in to me either. YEA! The judge called "bar" so I signaled the bar, said "over" and watched while Murray took the high jump again. > He's obviously very scarred by the incident on Sat. : I guess he just really likes the high jump. This is the 2nd time he's taken it twice.

The judge was very nice. As I was putting Murray's leash on he said "You have a very happy working dog." I told him I've been working on improving Murray's attitude in the ring. He said "I think you've accomplished that." ;D

I forgot to pick up our score card today. There was so much excitement. Two of my friends qualified and got their first legs. I was so busy congratulating them that I forgot to pick up my score card.

We have about 4 weeks until our next show. Murray is going to boot camp for glove #3 and go outs.

On a side note, one of my friend's who qualifed had an interesting issue in the ring. He sent the dog for glove #2. The dog got #2 then went over to #3 and grabbed it too. He brought both gloves back. The judge had to look up the rule. He said the rule only states that the dog must go directly to the glove and bring back the correct glove, nothing about bringing back extra gloves. Good to know. ;D

Essy and my daughter were in Rally Adv B both days. Sat was not pretty. Essy was very distracted. Actually I blame the judge entirely. She INSISTED on having the next 2 people waiting at the gate while someone was running the course. There were about 5 other people, some with their dogs, squeezed in that same small area trying to see their score which was on the steward's table. The dog leaving the ring had to squeeze past the 2 waiting dogs and other people because they used the same gate for entry and exit. : The first exercise was the offset figure 8. Essy got to sit and stare at the toys for the entire 2 min that the other dog was running the course. : By the time they got in the ring I'm surprised that Essy worked at all. They ended up with an 83 and Meghan had to work her butt off for that.

As bad as Sat was, Sun was even worse. Essy and Meghan were doing really well. They were about 1/2 way thru the course when Essy decided she really needed to poop. Meghan was mortified and ran out of the ring in tears. She said she won't show Essy again. This was their last Rally show this season so hopefully Meghan will change her mind before fall. This is like the 4th or 5th time Essy has pooped or peed in the ring. I can't figure it out. She is pottied before they go in. The poop is always soft so I'm beginning to think that Essy is getting stressed for some reason. I know Meghan is more stressed about the B classes. I don't know why. I told her it's the same course the A class uses. Hopefully time heals all wounds.

The one bright spot this weekend was that Sat Meghan showed Essy in their very first agility class. It was a USDAA beginning jr handler class. No weaves, no teeter, no dog walk. They were awesome. They had an issue at the a-frame. Meghan tried to do a rear cross but she didn't draw a nice diagonal line. She did a sharp zig zag 90 degree angle right at the bottom of the a-frame which confused Essy so she jumped off. The judge told them to go on (4-paw rule). Essy also ran to the table and slipped off the other side for another fault. She got back on and did the down though whereas many of the other dogs refused. They also dropped the last bar as Meghan pulled up short (she learned all of my tricks ) They finished the course with the 3 faults and got a bronze medal for their efforts. Meghan couldn't be prouder. To top it off, the show photographer was there and got some awesome photos of them. I'll have to find someone with a scanner so I can post them when I get them. In the meantime, here is one I took of them with their medal. Meghan is showing off her new braces. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: weekend update

What a weekend! Sounds like Murray is close to getting an Utility leg, so very close! Congrats about Meghan and Essy in agility, too bad about Rally.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Murray and his high and Caleb and his bar! These boys!!! : Well, at least his attitude is better! I know Caleb went right the second day we showed down in the Carolina's.

Sorry about Meghan in the ring. Poor thing! Glad it went better for the agility!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Sorry about the NQ's but glad his attitude is back!! Tell your daughter she has experienced my worst fears and lived to tell about it. I just know at some point it is going to happen to me!! :P Congrats on the agility run and medal!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sorry about your NQ's, but I have a feeling we are all in this for the long haul ;D Overall though, it sounds like a great weekend for you guys. Meghan is so cute in that photo, she must've been so proud. And I would have been mortified too if my dog pooped in the ring.

Ask Susan (Caleb) but I think she gives Caleb Slippery Elm for his "loose bowels" at shows. It's some type of herbal stuff, I think.

Can't wait to see the pics of Meghan in agility. I bet you bought a ton of them

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Can't wait to see the pics of Meghan in agility. I bet you bought a ton of them
    The photographer took a ton of them (I think he shot every obstacle ;D ) but I limited myself to only 3. Of course, Meghan wanted them all. I told her there will be many more pictures to come so will only buy the best ones. I got the run on videotape so she can watch that. ;D