Those that have used the "around the Clock" method

Thread: Those that have used the "around the Clock" method

DefaultThose that have used the "around the Clock" method

of scent discrimination. I have a copy of the instructions, but am a little confused. For the first week (or two) do I use just one scented article (and no unscented articles) and move it around the floor in the prescribed order all by itself?

At first (just reading) it didn't make sense, but I trie dit last night and can understand how it would lay the foundation for the rest of the training period.

I've got Kodi doing a good hold on both the leather and metal article, and a basic retrieve, so now am looking to progress.

Oh and also, once I get to where there are unscented articles in the picture, and if Kodi does choose th ewrong one, how do I correct her? Just a firm "no" and let her find the corrrect one or point i tout ot her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Those that have used the "around the Clock" method

I didn't use around the clock but I wouldn't advise to ever "correct" a wrong scent article. Just take the wrong one from them and send them back. You may have to show them the correct one the first time or two until they understand.

I've seen too many dogs that were corrected that are afraid to make a mistake. These are the same dogs that you see go out to the pile and stand there or worse stand there with the correct article in their mouth, afraid to come into you. You will also see this same thing happen with dogs that are always encouraged "yes that's right" or "no try again". They are waiting for a verbal ok from the handler.

What I did with Murray was if I saw him take a wrong article, I met him halfway back from the pile. I take the article from him and toss it aside then point to the pile and tell him to "find it" again. This is a visual aid for him vs a verbal one. He now knows that if I don't move, he is correct and if I move, he is wrong. Of course in a trial situation I never move so he always assumes he has the correct article in a trial and confidently comes into me. ;D

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I still have to talk to my friend .......... didn't train Friday night due to bad roads. I'll see her Tuesday night at class.

I found with Kona he didn't make mistakes when we used the cheese. In the beginning we're trying to teach him to use his nose to "find it". Now, if Kona brings the wrong article I go out and take it from him and resend him. The only time he seems to do that is when he gets in a retrieve mode vs. scent mode.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    What I did with Murray was if I saw him take a wrong article, I met him halfway back from the pile. I take the article from him and toss it aside then point to the pile and tell him to "find it" again. This is a visual aid for him vs a verbal one. He now knows that if I don't move, he is correct and if I move, he is wrong. Of course in a trial situation I never move so he always assumes he has the correct article in a trial and confidently comes into me. ;D
    That makes sense!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

In the DeMello method of Round the Clock, she does not advocate any correction when they get a wrong article.. in fact, she makes it so they DON'T get a wrong article. The first couple of weeks YOU are going to the pile WITH your dog and helping him. You keep it very calm and happy at the pile. Never make the dog anxious or worrisome out there. Let them begin to understand the pile is a good place to be.

Good luck with your training. I enjoyed teaching the articles. I never thought I could do it, and now that I have it never ceases to amaze me to watch Ruger hunt for the scented one

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Karen, I have the answer for the first 2 weeks now. You put all the articles out as in the diagram and then the scented article with the cheese is placed at 4 o'clock, 6 o'clock, C, 8 o'clock etc. With the cheese on the article the dog learns to find it very quicky. The first week is the metal article and the second week is the leather article.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Thanks!