First shows at 20" jump height
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First shows at 20" jump height

Default First shows at 20" jump height

Well this weekend will be our first agility show at 20" jump height. I am so happy maybe now I can finally get a jumpers leg. I thought we wouldn't knock any bars at 20 but I have noticed that she still can knock bars at 20. She tends to knock them because she is looking at me not ahead where she needs to go. I think I need to get her to get used to working ahead of me in the course. I never thought I would complain that my dog was paying to much attention to me!! I am quite confident she won't get a wrong course (Unless I make a mistake). Well we are going to run Open Standard, Novice B Jumpers, and Fast Novice B both days this weekend. I would so love to get a jumpers leg or two even. I don't want to end up in Excellent B standard and Novice Jumpers..lol

Kelly and Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: First shows at 20" jump height

Since Amber is an obedience dog, she is most likely going to be more handler focused than obstacle focused. There is nothing wrong with that but it is something you need to consider when handling her. You won't handle her the same way an obstacle focused dog would be handled and I'm not sure you will be able to change her to an obstacle focused dog.

Murray is very handler focused. He notices every twitch of my body from my eyes down to my toes so I have to ensure that everything is giving the same signal. Both of my trainer's say they wish they had that kind of handler focus from their dogs. I know Murray's focus on me stems from our obedience training where I demand that focus. Training utility signals has only intensified that focus.

For example, when I first started competing in agility with Murray he kept dropping bars. I couldn't figure out why until I saw a video of one of our runs. Our trainer had taught us to give the command for the next obstacle a few feet or more before the obstacle. That makes sense, however, as seen in the video, Murray was literally jumping right when I said "over". He was obedience trained so if I said "sit" I meant right now. If I said "down" I meant right now. It only made sense to him that if I say "over" I must mean right now. : Of course he was too far away to make the jump but it didn't matter to him..."mom said over." I knew I'd never be able to cue him exactly at the correct take off point for each and every jump so I decided not to say anything at all. Now I never give a verbal command for jumps, only a signal. If the jump is in front of him, he knows he needs to take it if my arm is out and he knows to come in towards me if my arm is down.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

One thing I do with my dogs is set up practice courses at home with ALL jumps heights, from about 8 inches up to 26. I'll set a line of jumps and stagger the heights. This makes the dog really focus on the jump as each one is a different height for them to jump. It has helped tremendously in curing dropped bars.

Also, Ruger will drop nearly every bar at home but he has NEVER dropped a bar at a trial. Go figure I think I run much faster at home and the pace is more anxious and quicker and he jumps a lot higher.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just got back from running her today and she didn't drop a single bar in practice..I didn't give her any jump commands except for the first one from the line. I do say go or come as needed to send her away or bring her in. And I say weave once to cue her to weave. I do give her more verbal cues for different obstacles in standard such as "teeter" "tunnel" "frame" "rockit" "tire" "mark-sit" "table" "sit" "down" "stay" "OK" I am learning that the less I say the better. This also means that when I do say something it carries more weight with Amber and she is more likely to respond immediately or look at me for further instruction. I think I might even try a rear cross at this weekends trials if it is needed. She is beginning to get used to me crossing behind her a figuring out that means we are turning in that direction. I even got in my first rear cross on the ground during a turn today. And I haven't fallen down in training for almost two whole weeks!!! I wish I would have started this as a teenager.

Kelly and Amber

Good luck this weekend! Boo hurt his shoulder by running into a wall so I'll only have Dusty, but it looks like we'll still see you with this fancy three-ring trial. Almost glad I'm not running Boo since the conflicts would be horrible.

BIG show this weekend, biggest I've ever seen ... 27 Excellent 24" dogs ... it'll probably be one of those depressing weekends where it takes me ten minutes to even find my dog near the bottom of the sea of Qs ... I wish Dusty was a couple years younger so we could jump 26" where there are 2 dogs ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    And I haven't fallen down in training for almost two whole weeks!!!
    ;D Now there is definitely something to celebrate!

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Kelly - I read your post about changing your jump height to 20". Last October I did the same thing with Shamrock who I show in Agility and my husband shows in Utility. I made the change for two reasons - I had little chance to train in 2006 because I traveled for my job and was often away two weeks at a time and second - at a three day show in August for both Open Jumpers and Standard all three days the last jump was a Triple and we knocked a bar down every time. In a couple of those runs we would have Q'd had not the Triple bar come down and a woman who was watching us who has a black lab said - why not try Preferred just to see how he does. Well in October I tried 20" and we Q'd in both Jumpers and Standard for the 1st time in a year. What a great feeling. We finished our NAP in Dec. However, in our Jumpers run, I fell and I am not sure what I tripped over. Even though we finished the course, too much time and because Shamrock came back to me after I hit the ground, we got a refusal at the jump he was facing just before I fell. I agree with Lydia too - now I try to use my body and hands better and not worry so much about saying jump. I never thought of what she points out about an Obedience dog doing the command "NOW" but it certainly makes sense. Sounds like you are having fun and I try to remember that enjoyment is why we do this -right? Betsy
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Quote Originally Posted by agilityretrievers
    Boo hurt his shoulder by running into a wall
    I have to ask.. How did Boo run into a wall? I hope he is better soon. I also wonder how Tracy is going to pull it off with the 6 or so dogs she runs.. Also luckily you can get your money back for entry fees because Boo would have been under the judge they added at the last minute so you can still ask for a refund up till 1/2 hour before the trial starts.
    There is going to be about 320 dogs entered in both standard and jumpers and 160 in Fast. Heck I noticed that there is even one entry (a 26" dog) in FAST EXCELLENT!! I would love to finish our Novice Fast title this weekend.
    Good Luck Katie!

Kelly And Amber

Sounds like your pup needs to understand "WHEN" to be obstacle focused and "WHEN" to be handler focused. Also, is she jumping "flat? Is she taking off "too far" from the jump? What "Lane" is she jumping when she knocks down bars? There are 3 lanes on a jump, The left lane is when the next obstacle is to the left, the center lane when the next obstacle is in front of the dog, and the right lane when the next obstacle is to the right. Is she too aroused when she takes off or is she operant?

Andrea Dugan

How'd you guys do today? Dusty was 3 for 3, double-Q #18, 2nd place in Standard and 21 MACh points. The JWW course was nice but the Standard course was rather icky with the bit after the A-frame.

Boo chased the ball, ran past the ball, ran into the wall. He's doing fine and will be competing this weekend in Vegas (the happy place with MACh points for Goldens :P).

Ugh I didn't think about getting our money back ... oh well ...

Tracy is REALLY good ... I don't know how she runs all those dogs all at the same height, but she hardly ever causes any delays ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast