Agility and Rally results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agility and Rally results

DefaultAgility and Rally results

I thought today would be much calmer since I was only showing Murray in agility. Wrong! It couldn't have been further from the truth.

Meghan's Adv B class was the same time as our first agility run...opposite ends of the park of course. :-\ I watched while Meghan walked the Rally course, then I ran back to agility and walked my course, then I ran back and practiced a few rally exercises with Meghan, then I ran back to run Open Jumpers (got there just as they called our name), then ran back and watched Meghan and Essy in Rally. Then I don't remember much. I think I passed out from lack of oxygen.

Meghan and Essy did really well today. They had trouble with the halt/call front/finish left. Essy flat out refused to go to front. She would stand up and walk around to heel without ever stopping in front. Meghan retried it 3 times and they still didn't get it right (10 pts). They finished with an 84...WAY out of the running for ribbons. (The class had one 100 and 4 99's as well as numerous other scores in the 90's). I told Meghan she did really good especially considering Essy didn't want to do that one exercise. She's not used to not placing but we had talked about this prior to entering. I told her the B classes are were the big boys hang out so not to expect a placement if she gets a 100 (seen it a couple of times).

Agility was better today, thankfully. First of all, the courses were much better than yesterday. Even my trainer stopped by my tent today and said "you picked a horrible weekend to debut in Open. The courses are killer."

Our first run was Open jumpers. I had been running back and forth between rally and agility but Murray was nice and refreshed. : He actually did very well. His attention was on me and course just flowed so smoothly. He even did the weaves first time thru. He knocked 3 bars though. They were all my fault I'm sure. I was so exhausted I'm sure I wasn't running far enough into the pocket like my trainer told me to do...just trying to save steps.

Next we ran open standard. Standard was not pretty. They almost had to use 2 scribe sheets to mark all of our errors...multiple F, a W, a couple Rs. Murray was being a butthead. Even my trainer said he was being bad so see, it isn't just me.

I was really thinking about calling it a day at that point. We could be home by 1:00. Instead I stayed for Novice FAST. Call me a glutton for punishment but I thought...well I already paid for it. I'm so glad we stayed. Murray was so on it was scary. The course I designed flowed so nicely with lots of open space to run full out (Murray's favorite). He stayed right with me so I didn't waste anytime trying to get his attention on anything. We even had the dreaded A-frame to tunnel for the challenge. Murray is a big time tunnel sucker so I really didn't expect him to hit his contact with me not right there to babysit it but HE DID! I was so proud of him. We finished with 67 pts but we were 3 seconds over so we got a 64. It was my fault. I know we can regularly do 13 obstacles well within time but I stretched it to 15 this time (on the opposite side of the finish too requiring us to run back across the course to stop the timer). We got a Q and 3rd place out of it. Unfortunately we had to stick around until 4:30 to find that out. :

So we finished the weekend with Meghan and Essy's Q in their Rally Adv B debut, a Q and 3rd in Murray's Nov FAST debut, and a really nice sunburn to remember it all by. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility and Rally results

Well it doesn't sound like too bad of a day! I've not tried the FAST class yet, and don't know that I will. Ruger's hocks are doing weird things lately (swelling but no lameness) so I've really cut off his jumping and will most likely try to finish his Open agility titles and then quit agility with him.

Essy's run sounded great as well. You are so correct that you can't always get a placement even if you get 100 in Rally! I'm glad Meghan is getting lots of experience and winning and Q's too!

Sunburn. Wow! We don't get much sunburn here in the winter

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the Q's!! I'm tired just reading about your running back and forth!! I know the one show I was at with 4 students exhausted me trying to be everywhere (and I also competed in 2 events). Get some rest and give your pups some hugs from me. Congrats to Meghan on her debut.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Great job by Meghan for still getting through the course and Q'ing. I do have a question on your FAST scoring. FAST stands for Fifteen and Send Time. There are only 15 total obstacles. I know that when I have watched dogs run all obstacles under time they have a score of 80pts so your score should have been 77 pts. I don't know if all the judges have all the scoring down yet. or you may have taken some of the non-pointed jumps for course flow. and the finish jump usually doesn't count for points. And you are probably still sunburned and tired. I know I am still trying to figure out all the rules to Fast. But still it was awsome to finish a Q and get a placement. Great Job!!!!

Kelly and Amber

We took fifteen total obstacles which included the finish jump and one jump that we took twice (no points the 2nd time) for flow.

You don't have to do all of the obstacles in FAST. The 80 points would be if you did 6 one-point jumps plus ALL of the other obstacles and got the distance challenge, which no one is confident enough to do at this point plus there isn't any incentive to do so since placements don't matter at all.

From what I understand, you can take the same 1-point jump more than once, but you only get points for 6 total 1-point jumps. Theoretically you could do the same jump 6 times and get points for all 6.

Dusty's first time in FAST today we got 51 points (my plan was 70, but weaves were the first obstacle in the distance challenge and he ran past them the first time, so the buzzer went off right before he came out of an 8-point tunnel, we missed a 6-point panel, and we were 5 seconds over).

We were looking for 70 pts this run too but Murray dropped a bar for 1 and a double for 2. The only thing we skipped were the weaves which we avoided like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by agilityretrievers
    The 80 points would be if you did 6 one-point jumps plus ALL of the other obstacles and got the distance challenge, which no one is confident enough to do at this point plus there isn't any incentive to do so since placements don't matter at all.
    There were probably over 200 people in each of the Novice FAST classes this weekend (only 1 in Open FAST). Most just accumulated their 50 pts plus the challenge and left the ring well under time. Obviously they were just looking to Q and get out of Novice quickly. I play with the spirit of the game in mind which isn't just get your 50 and leave. I think if AKC catches wind of lots of people just taking the 50 and leaving they will probably up the requirements necessary to Q.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I've not tried the FAST class yet, and don't know that I will.
    FAST is so right up your alley. I know you like Gamblers. You would love FAST.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you did have a good one!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I didn't intend to just get the 50 either, plan included everything but the 10-point teeter because it was raining and I didn't want to put him on unnecessary contacts, but you also have to find a balance between an aggressive plan and a plan that is conservative enough to finish. No use in doing a bunch of high-point obstacles on one side of the course and then losing all those points by running across the ring to the finish jump after the buzzer goes off.

FAST is like Gamblers but with an element of Snooker (you can't just go run around like a crazy person because you can only get points for each obstacle once) and with substantially easier distance challenges in Novice, I really had fun running it ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast