Ruger Results Utility A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Results Utility A

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRuger Results Utility A

Well, of course we did not qualify... but I must say his heeling is getting SO much BETTER. I was pretty proud of it today. Susan (Caleb) remarked too that she thought he was doing really well... she expected something really ugly from what I'd been describing to her

He almost got the signals. He did the down, but as soon as he was down he turned his head to watch something out of the ring and he wouldn't look back. I held my signal until he started to glance at me (and it seemed like FOREVER) but then he wasn't sure so I had to double command him, and he sat on the second signal. Okay, pressure off The judge did comment on the hold and told me I did a good thing by holding my signal

On the scent article, which we normally are good at, he went out, took a long time on the pile, and finally trotted back. When I took the article and saw it was #0, I thought, "I am So Screwed!" The 0's are my daily training articles, and they are very scented with cheese. I put them in my bag by mistake. You guessed it, on the 2nd article he again took a long time and brought back #0 again (the correct one was #2). The judge commented... "I see a pattern here," and I told him it was my blonde mistake for the day.

Gloves, we had #1. As we pivoted he locked onto #2 and of course went and got that one. Susan gave me some good advice for helping him there and we will work on it.

Stand for Exam, we Q'd. This is the one exercise he has always been good at.

Go-outs... He ran out just to past the jumps and then his confidence plunged and he stopped and started back to me.

So much for that.

In Wild Card Utility he did much better even though he was tired (he was in Utility A at 8:30 a.m. Wild Card at 3:00 p.m.) We threw out the Stand For Exam. Again his heeling was nice, but he didn't do the sit, again. We need to keep working on this one. Scent articles, he missed the first one but did get the 2nd one. Gloves he got #3 and did it well. Go outs, he did the first one but not the 2nd one. We did eek out a 4th place (out of 7 dogs) so it was not all a loss

Here's a couple of pics my mom took. She never gets the action shots (like jumps and articles, etc). I hope Monnie might have one of gloves and articles.

This was our first "halt" during the signal heeling.

More heeling... for the Stand For Exam

Just a pretty shot of Ruger.. if nothing else, Ruger is a happy boy in the ring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ruger Results Utility A

Great picts!

Sounds like you are making progress. I learn a lot reading about everyone's trials and tribulations in the Utility ring.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, I do have a couple of pictures that turned out good of the articles and gloves. I'll post them later. I'm off to lunch with a couple friends. Poor Walt has to stay home. Hope he ate enough at the Olive Garden last night. It was fun going to dinner with you, your mom, Susan and Lew. I was stuffed.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

sounds like things are going pretty good..some nice pics

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Not bad showing for your debut!! It will give you ideas of what still needs some polishing and proofing. Are you competing today? If so ..........good luck.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

This was not our debut. This was our third time in the Utility ring .... and I forsee we will have many MANY more times in the ring

I was supposed to show today but I woke up this morning so sick I did not go. I've been fighting a cold/cough, bronchitis for over two weeks. I was coughing so hard this morning my nose was bleeding. I slept most of the day.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I hope you are feeling better soon!! I think we also all have many times in the Utility ring in our future!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sorry you didn't go back today. I sure hope you get well soon. Better call your doctor.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

patm is offline Senior Member

Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like you did some good things this weekend too. And a happy lab is a ........ happy lab!!!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

I'm seeing improvement in each of your trials so hang in there. Just look at the difference between UA and wildcard this time. There was improvement in almost all of the exercises...he didn't do the sit but he was watching this time, he got 1 of the 2 articles, he did glove #3 (the most difficult one IMO), he did one of the two go outs. I think those are all really good signs that he just needs more confidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast