Why does Angus have to be so...so...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Angus have to be so...so...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy does Angus have to be so...so...

>

Gosh, you guys, I had a really bad day today.

I had Angus entered in Pre-Novice. Without going into all the details, let's just say it is going to be a long while before I entertain the idea of entering him in Novice.

I came out of the ring and was like, "WHAT was THAT?? I have never seen him do so horribly!" I mean, he *really* pushed my buttons today. It's not like he doesn't know this stuff. We have only been practicing these same exercises for over a year, closer to two. And I hate it because he really got to me.

Sigh.

Here comes the pity party...

I just feel like Angus is such a fragile, delicate balancing act. You have to warm him up exactly the right amount of time. Not too much, not too little. You must give him a hot dog at the very last instant you can before you walk into the ring. There can be no tape on the floor. There can be no interesting smells in the ring. The judge cannot be too friendly. The planets must all align perfectly before you have a snowball's chance in hell.

Right this moment, I am thinking he is just too hard. Too hard for someone as green as me.

Bottom line: Two years into this, and he is still not ready to do Novice. Not even close.

I see all these people walking around the show with perfectly well-behaved dogs. Where did these dogs come from? Are their owners smarter than me? Better trainers? Or are they just better dogs? Is Angus missing part of his brain? Is it possible to grow that part of the brain later in life?

Really. I want to poke out my own eyeballs with a fork right now.

I wonder if I need to save myself a lot of stress and temporarily retire him from showing. Maybe later, when he's nine or ten. : I keep waiting for him to grow out of a lot of this. It doesn't seem to be happening.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why does Angus have to be so...so...

Connie,

I didn't compete with Kona for the first time until he was 2 yo. He could decide at any minute to get the Zoomies and there was no catching him at that point. He did that to me in the open ring when he was 3 yo at a specialty in NJ. Neither the judge or I could get him to come back to me and the judge finally excused us from the ring ....... I couldn't wait to get my leash and hook hiim back up.

Another time when competing in open Kona decided that he needed to eat every dandelion in our ring (and probably would have checked out the other rings if he knew he could jump over ring gates ....... he has never done that) That judge was someone I knew and he said to us as we left the ring "had a nice lunch didn't he?".

I came close to to being tripped by Kona during the figure 8 at the same lab specialty ........ he would bite at my shoe laces as we were heeling.

I have been training Kona for over 5 1/2 years and he still will do things in the obedience ring that will make me shake my head and laugh at him and with hm.

All of the things I described above are stress related behaviors that Kona would offer. The more you go to show and go's and practice the better you and your dog will perform. I still need to take Kona to many differnet places to train before I can expect him to perform well in a real situation. See my post about Susan and Linda competing this weekend about the ring setup and another thing to proof for.

Hang in there .......... we can always trouble shoot here with you.

"In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Sorry, Connie. I finally entered Scotty in Novice A for a March trial. He'll be 2 in June. So, our Novice debut will be at almost 2 years of age. Our trainer has one Lab, Mason, who was over 3 y.o. (I think) when she entered him in Novice for the first time. She has another Lab, Phoebe, who she thought would never do obedience and had her husband train Phoebe for hunt tests for several years. So, when Phoebe entered Novice, she was pretty mature. Well, Phoebe just finished her OTCH a couple of months ago. My point is that different dogs are different. Some are better at getting ring-ready at a young age; others are not.

I have not been showing Scotty much, but I really enjoyed the couples time we did. Still to me, the training and seeing both of us make progress is very rewarding. Just enjoy the training part and the Rally. Obedience will be there when Angus is a bit more mature.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks you guys. That's good pep-talking! I appreciate the stories of Kona and just knowing that this happens to other people too sometimes. Even really good handlers!

It is just amazing to me the difference between Angus and Simon.

Here is one dog who I've had since he was little enough to fit in my hand. We started obedience training the first week. He's been in classes since four months. Non-stop. He's been here, there and everywhere, show n go's, different places to train. And STILL he cannot pull himself together for two minutes' worth of show.

Here is another dog I didn't get until he was seven months old. He is not as quick to catch onto things as Angus, and has only had four formal obedience classes in his life. He has had a full year less of training than Angus. He has now been in a Rally ring a total of five times. And yet, when the chips are down, he pulls himself together and gets it done!

???

So true, they are all so different. I sometimes wonder what Angus would be like with, oh, my private instructor for example. Someone more experienced. I swear, I've never seen a dog learn something new so quickly. It just seems like if I could find a way to keep his attention, maintain focus, there would be no stopping him.

Well, I watched the videotape, and it doesn't look as ugly on video as it felt. So that's something.

I think you're right Tatyana, obedience is not going anywhere. I just have to be patient.

Connie and "The Boys":

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Here is one dog who I've had since he was little enough to fit in my hand. We started obedience training the first week... And STILL he cannot pull himself together for two minutes' worth of show.

Here is another dog I didn't get until he was seven months old... He has had a full year less of training than Angus.
    Ahhh...but YOU have your experience with Angus to help you train Simon quicker/better. You've increased your bag of training tricks because of Angus and you could pull out different ones to work with Simon. It's like I told my oldest son when he was a teenager complaining that I was tougher on him than my middle son. I said "I've never been the mom to a 16 yr old before. I have been the mom of a 13 yr old though. You are my guinea pig. I get to learn with you."

Labs are notoriously slow to mature...some more than others. I wouldn't think of entering a Lab in a show until they were at least 2.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Riley had his CD by 15 months in 5 straight shows...first 2 shows NQ on sits and downs....had the judge in stitches in the 1st show as he did a big "S" pattern on the recall but he came briskly all the way..the 3rd show as we entered the ring and walked toward the corner where we were starting he jumped out of the ring while still on leash..The judge said you know we haven't actually started yet so bring him back in the ring and we'll start..so I get him in the corner and the judge is standing in front of me saying you know if your dog is uncontrollable I'll have to ask you to leave the ring which at that point is all I really wanted to do..LOL..anyway some how we get thru all the exercises..I had to throw in an extra heel at an about turn at the gates as he was eyeing the ring next to us..anyway we go back into the rings for the sits and downs and the steward asks me if he is liable to jump out of the ring and I have to reply he's always come straight to me before and of course we are on the end right next to the other obedience ring..I still say to this day the only reason he stayed is because our trainer was in the next ring showing another dog..but Riley kept looking over at her and I just know he was thinking if I move trainer is going to get me..LOL..anyway we Q with a 171 and 3rd place..*G*..anyway we Q in the next 2 shows to get his CD and start working on open...tried a few shows where he either got all the individual exercises great or not at all...but we always NQ'd on the OOS sits and downs because I couldn't get out of the ring without him being by side by the time I got to the gate..after doing that a couple of times I decided it wasn't fair to the other dogs/competitors so we stopped obedience all together and just focused on agility.

anyway I guess the moral of the story if obedience is stressing you both out and you aren't enjoying it with him maybe it's time to try something else.

I was talking to a friend who has schaunzers (Sp) that she has taken to a UD about Robbie telling I thought I had pushed Riley to fast into obedience trialing and she said she had seen very few obedience dogs who got their CD's before 2 continue on to the more advance levels..so while we are going to start agility trialing soon with Robbie I probably won't show in obedience for awhile with him.

patm is offline Senior Member

I had a nice long reply for you and then it wouldn't post > So my shortened version is - I understand - Angus does sound like a"challenging dog" , just try Rally for now - you never have to do novice with him if you don't want to - maybe work on Simon for your novice dog.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Are you SURE that he's not related to Zeke? I was having those EXACT thoughts yesterday. Zeke LOVES to push people's buttons...and he's definitely a balancing act exactly like Angus. I almost considered pulling him from the match Feb3 and Feb25, but I figured I might as well try. Everyone already knows what a turd he can be anyway :P (he's got a bit of a reputation....he pushes other people's buttons too).

Not trying to discourage you, but Zeke is nearly FIVE and he's still a challenge. But, I think he's a little more "messed up" than Angus. He's got a pretty weird temperament for a lab....

Angus is already doing better than Zeke at his age though:P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Zeke and Angus remind me a lot of each other, from the videos you have posted. I am sure they must be long-lost brothers. :P I know, I thought about you and Zeke when I was posting this.

Well, I was just getting all excited, thinking we were closer than we actually are, but no rush. I just hate that I let it bother me so much today. :-[ Oh well, there is plenty of time. I will wait until I am 99% sure we are going to Q.

I may be waiting for a looooong while...

Simon may just be my Novice dog.

Connie and "The Boys":

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Yes, thats when I run into the greatest frustration too - when I think we're doing really well and then he acts up and destroys my hope that he might be "decent" soon :. :P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast