I commited the first sin of obedience training last night

Thread: I commited the first sin of obedience training last night

DefaultI commited the first sin of obedience training last night

I got angry at Kodi, and it wasn't her fault at all. :-[

There must be something in the air.....

We were practicing go-outs, using spray cheese at the stanchion. Well, at the end of the can, it squirted and made a funny pop/spew noise. That surprised Kodi, and she jumped to the side and bumped into the metal guides I had on either side to help direct her, which of course made it fall down with a clanky noise...which scared her. Of course she jumped to the other side and knocked over the other one! Well, poor girl was than convinced that the gate, stanchion and the guides were going to eat her! NO WAY was she going anywhere back near them, despite juicy treats, cheese or encouraging word.

So, I thought that I would guide her by her collar to convince her that it wasn't going to hurt her. HA! Well she slipped her collar and ran to hide under the table. This happened twice, at least. At this point I figured I could not just let her get away with avoiding the situation. So I dragged her back to the gate. Big mistake. Now she was REALLY convinced there was death involved with that gate! I got very frustrated 'cause this was so unlike her. I went into another room and, as loud as I could yelled AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH! (made me feel better, probably scared her even more)

It took nearly 30 minutes before I could convince her to touch the gate again, but it was not pretty. All of our other exercises at this point sucked to, fronts, side passes etc. So I hung it up for the night. (I KNEW that I should have stopped earlier in the training session, but I was being stubborn...stupid me!) I did end the evening by leaving the gates up in the living room and played fetch with a favorite sqeeky toy all around the gates, and it didn't seem to bother her.

Well, we went back at it tonight, and all it was as though nothing had happened. Go-outs were MUCH better and although she was not perfectly straight in the turn and sits (she had to keep an eye on that evil stanchion), the touch (and even re-sends to touch) were better than she had done before.

Two steps back and one step forward...sigh. It's a good thing labs are a forgiving lot. I just hope that fear of the evil stanchion does not come back to haunt me in the future!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I commited the first sin of obedience training last night

OMG!! Karen, did you know this exact same thing happened to us?? Well, almost exactly. That Squeeze Cheese IS evil!

I was practicing stays with Angus and Simon. We had been using the squeeze cheese as a great reward at the end for them. Someone suggested giving them something they didn't usually get. It was so easy, because I could squeeze it directly into their mouths. There was something kinda fun about watching them eat it from the can, too. :P

So, we get finished with their stays, and run over to the squeeze cheese. All of us are very excited. I go to give Simon his share, and it makes this loud POP that sounded like a gun going off! Blows cheese all over Simon's face.

Of course he was TERRIFIED. If it had been Angus he wouldn't have even blinked. But Simon, poor little shrinking violet. He would not go anywhere near the squeeze cheese can for weeks. I started squeezing it into my hand and letting him see that it's not the cheese that is evil. Eventually we got to the point that he would eat the cheese with the can close by my hand. But I still haven't tried to squeeze it directly from the can again.

Oh, I don't think it sounds like you did a bad thing at all! You went to another room! I doubt she even related that to yelling about her. I bet she thought you were just yelling at the cheese. ;D

Anyway, we are only human. Sometimes we are going to forget ourselves and yell. No big deal! I know it makes you feel bad, though. Every time I lose it I always end up feeling awful later. But you're so right, five minutes later they forget all about it.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

HMmmmmm - spay cheese - never thought of that. I think Emilu would HATE it because anything the even looks like it might be a spray bottle freaks her out. As for losing your temper - I can sympathize. I had a few training sessions with Emilu outside in the yard and she HATES to sit in the grass. Before I realized this I thought she was just being just really stubborn. I got mad a few times and yanked her collar and yelled at her to SIT!!!! I felt really bad losing my temper and physically shaking her - but you know what? After that she was perfect and very attentive for the rest of the session. She must have not wanted to crazy lady to appear again :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, sorry that happened. I make it a point when things like that happen, to laugh and make it funny. Magnum can get very upset about things, especially noises, so I usually laugh or sing her a silly song when something evil and loud happens

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Wow, sorry that happened. I make it a point when things like that happen, to laugh and make it funny. Magnum can get very upset about things, especially noises, so I usually laugh or sing her a silly song when something evil and loud happens
    I'll have to remember that! I'd hate to think what would have happened if that had been Hoss. He is SUPER soft and does not handle corrections well at all.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Trust me, it really works not to make an issue of things. Just put a silly voice and smile on. And play with your dog around whatever has happened. It makes a huge difference in how the dog perceives things
    The more you get serious or try to soothe the dog, the more reason the dog thinks there is something to worry about. By laughing and making a fun game out of something, it really shifts the dog's focus away from the event and on to you