Discouraging

Thread: Discouraging

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiscouraging

I was originally going to post why I am discouraged, but I think this sums it up:

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe tomorrow will be better.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Discouraging

So sorry. Just take a break and relax. I hope it gets better soon.

Hope it goes better soon!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL

I hope it does too....

But, Zeke is known to be extremely headstrong/pushy/a bit of an 'attitude'. He's been this way for years, which is why he is only RN even though he is trained in agility and the remaining levels of rally as well. He knows what I want him to do....but it can be a struggle to get him to actually listen. Today I spent quite a while getting it through his head that when I am using a "target" in agility...he has to go OVER jumps to get to the target. I spent a lot of him trying to stop him from going around everything and making a beeling straight for the treas (the jump was DIRECTLY in front of him and the target was directly behind that...but he still went all the way around). He's used targets before without any of this trouble...but now it seems to be a habit...along with several other displeasing things.

I guess tomorrow I will try something new. He does improve...although VERY slowly.

Can you put boards on either side of the jump so that he can not go around? Sort of chute like?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, silly Zeke! But you know, he looks like he's a million laughs from his video! Such personality! Such enthusiasm!

I feel for you. Angus can do any exercise in Rally, any level. He can do all the Novice obedience exercises, and quite a few of the Open and Utility exercises as well. And yet, only RN here too. Do I trust him to do any of what he's learned in a ring? No freakin' way.

Maybe someday they will settle down. And when they do, man, they will just breeze through! This is what I'm hoping for. Keep training, keep tweaking, and wait for him to calm down. Then, we will come seemingly out of nowhere, and knock out title after title, one after another.

I can dream, right?

Listen, you and I are definitely not alone. I am having such fun watching the Labs at the show this weekend. They almost never fail to put on a memorable performance. There is one other Lab at our club who is competing at around our level. She got her RN this weekend, and they moved her up to Advanced. She made it through about four exercises, took off and bolted out of the ring. Happy as could be about it too. I felt terrible for her handler, who is a young girl of about 13. Poor girl was just about in tears. I hope it cheers her up a little bit when they come back on Sunday and find they won the prize I donated (Lab in Advanced...she was the only one and I said to give it to them no matter if they Q'd or not).

There was another Lab in Novice A who reminded me SO much of Angus. He was a ringer, looks and personality. He went through the whole course with that Angus look on his face. So inquisitive. Checking out his environment with such a keen eye. Paying absolutely no attention to his handler whatsoever. He got about halfway through the course and pooed in the ring.

Hey, we'll just keep doing what we're doing, and one day I just know it will all fall into place! In the meantime, you have to admit, they're good for a laugh, right?

Hang in there. Hope things look brighter today!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Can you try a target stick. They sell a great one at Clean Run. It works better for me than the clear targets and I feel that my dog's focus is in the right place with them.

ZRL

Today was much better.....I only did a few basic things he knows like the back of his paw.

I think that yesterday I was just too tired to be messing with him. Not only was I easily frustrated, but I think he was taking advantage of my fatigue and doing things just to see if I would be able to stop him (ie. grabbing the target and chewing holes in it).