Weird Rally Class incident...

Thread: Weird Rally Class incident...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultWeird Rally Class incident...

In beginning of class our instructor goes through a couple of new moves and makes sure we get it. This is in the first 30 mins of class. Then the dogs get a potty break for 5 mins and then she sets up a course with the new signs and old ones we have learned so far.

Well Buck was doing fine till it was turn to do the course. He simple went nuts. He just wanted to sniff the floor! He would not focus on me. He simply would not listen. He was interested in the min pin and her owner in class. Turns out the owner brought bits of steak for her dog as treats! My little dry treats for Buck didn't stand a chance. But even after we moved away from the Min pin and her steak he was just all over the place. Wanted to visit other dogs. Sniffing around. It was just HORRENDOUS! Then he decided that he was done with class and simply wanted out! :

Oi! What a crazy night! My instructor thinks it's just his age and that he will probably have a few up and down days like this. And the fact that there was steak near by just drove him bonkers.

But I just don't feel like that was the total reason for his behaviour. We got into the car and he clonked out in a min! Is it possible I worked him too much and that's why he lost focus??

He is just a year old now. Have any of you experienced this...dog getting tired and just losing focus?

Also, how much should I expect from my 12 and half month old lab??? And how do I build up his ability to work with me for longer periods??
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Weird Rally Class incident...

Yes - I think they can get tired, or bored or just have "enough learning" for the night and lose focus. Espcecially at his age. When I started Emilu with a little agility stuff (before we started obedience), she was about 1.5 years old and loved doing the stuff, but only for so long. If she got hot and tired, she would just stare at me and not even do a sit. It floored me at first - she was truely refusing to respond to me. This doesn't happen anymore because she is much better trained, but she still gets tired of working in obedience class when we've done a lot of stuff, and the class is 2 hours and even I'm exhausted and want to go home. Everytime we turn in the diretion of the door, she starts to head that way. The instructor always says "if a rabbit ran across the room would she chase it? If she would , then she;s not too tired" And I want to say -"I'm exhausted too, but if there were a fire in the building, I could still run out of it - doesn't mean it's the best learning environment!" And they do have their "bad days" Sounds like a higher level treat might be in order every once in a while. And always end on a good note - have him do something he can do well.

Thanks for the reponse!

Definitely will bring some hotdog bits (his favorite treat) to counter act Steak lady And here I was bringing dry treats so I could start weening him off of treats. Thanks a lot Steak Lady... : :P

I am really convinced that he just got "bored" or tired of it all and lost focus...We did learn quite a few new things at the last class...may be his brain just overloaded!

So, hopefully if I keep working with him he will get better like Emilu did

Someday...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Yep we have times we shut down or lose interest or go off on a tangent why shouldn't dogs..*G*...I have it happen when we are practicing agility..I have to remember this because I tend to get frustrated when I know my dog can do something and they aren't...so I try to do something else or play with them for a bit ..then try to do one more thing even if it's just a jump and end on a positive note ... sometimes tho especially if they start off just being off in la la land I just pack up and go home.

Everyone has a bad night once in awhile. It happens. The next training session will be better, esp if there is hot dogs involved!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

And you thought this was a weird experience? To me that sounds like another day at the office.

Well, at 12 months, I was lucky to get ANYTHING out of Angus in an environment with distractions. He had not even passed his CGC at that point.

You know what helped us the most, I think? When I started spitting treats. That brought his head up to watch my face. If his head is up, he can't sniff the floor. ;D

If not for that, I think he'd still be hoovering everywhere he went.

Also, I do think that too much stimulation makes them like tired little babies. I made this mistake with Simon Thursday at the show. I had him out of his crate working with him way too much. By the time he got in the ring, he had NO focus at all.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

hahah Connie Buck doesn't have his CGC yet either :-\ Only reason I have not tested him yet is because he is a HORRIBLE greeter. He still likes to jump. He starts off great then BAM! He's in your face. He is getting better at not being such a jumpy greeter. But it's a slow process. As soon as I can fix this problem with him...I know we can pass the CGC.

There is a test coming up in february. May be I will give it a go and see how he does. Just for the heck of it. Who knows he'll have a good day and behave!

Thanks for the all responses guys