I'm almost to the breaking point with my daughter. She is the one who wanted to take over Essy (who was supposed to be my B dog). I've had to fight with her to get her to practice at all but it has gotten better now that we are competing and they are winning (she loves to win). She wants to compete in rally, obedience, and agility. We've decided to hold off on obedience until next year, compete in rally now, and we'll do agility when we can. I handle their obedience/rally training but I pay for their agility lessons.
I entered them in Rally Adv B at a local obedience club trial (very nice trial). Then the agility trainer said they are ready to start competing and there is a trial coming up that offers a beginner JH class. It is the same day as the obedience/rally trial. : I ask my daughter what she wants to do. She said agility. Of course...since we are already signed up for obedience. : I enter them (which also requires registering them as a team with the org which is more money). I cross my fingers and hope the schedules will work out. If not, as long as I get my UA run, we can skip Rally and go to Agility.
Then my daughter's baton teacher tells my daughter there is a competition. What day? You guessed it. It's the same day as the obedience/rally and agility trials. : My daughter says she wants to do that instead. Now I'm getting POd. I told her she wasn't going since she's already signed up for 2 other events on the same day. I told her she needs to make a decision if she is going to compete in dog stuff or baton stuff. She was in tears. She wants to do it all. GRRRRR. I didn't even mention the violin stuff that goes on too.
I understand where you are coming from. My daughter really wanted to get into agility. I paid for a training course for her. She did not work with the dog or do the homework. She seemed to expect that she would be entering agility trials and would not have to put in the training. She decided that she liked coming with me to help with the trials and classes and that training and competing were not what she was interested in with all her other activities. I think you are right to have her make the decision what she wants to do. Part of growing up is learning that you can't do it all.
Its tuff getting the schedule down with multiple events and organizations. I sometimes base my decisions on availability of shows. There is a ton of Agility shows here so they become low priority because I can always enter one the next weekend or the weekend after that. Obedience/Rally trials are alot harder to find and get into sometimes so I usually take the Obedience shows over Agility. Then there are other things too that cause conflict. I want to watch the superbowl but there is an Agility show that day. So I entered the agility show hoping I can get done and over with it before the superbowl starts. If the show drags on my Agility trainer will be there and I can have her run Amber or I can just leave early..
For the future I would have your daughter keep a calander and put all her schedules on it. (she should have known about the baton way in advance.) This way it makes her responsible for show conflicts and such. I have to make a calender for myself.
You might also offer to let her pay for the enteries for the dog events if she now wants to do Baton.
Good luck with your balancing act.
Kelly and Amber
Stick to your guns. She needs to decide which is the most important to her. Also, it might help if you start making her pay some entry fees, then she will really think twice about backing out of a competition she already signed up for