Let me ask you a question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let me ask you a question...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultLet me ask you a question...

So...does doing shows really kick your ass?

Cause my ass is really kicked. :P I'm wondering if I'm just that big of a wimp, or if everyone feels like they've been beat with a stick afterwards.

In case you don't get over to LC, here's today's update:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,32918.0.html

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Let me ask you a question...

Tee hee (little grin) and a BIG CONGRATS! ;D You really need to write some stories for dog magazines. Your style is great.

The only time I feel as though my ass has been kicked is after the 3 day trials my agility club puts on. I'm there from ~6:45am to 5/6pm three days in a row, not to mention the 3+ hours the day before the trial starts to set up. I run three dogs and work the classes I don't run. I sleep most of the monday afterwards

Congrats on your Q and good luck with the rest of the weekend!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I can't say I feel like my a$$ has been kicked, but I do start to get very resentful of losing my weekends. I don't like having to be on the road at 4:00 a.m. It sucks. Having horses makes it very difficult to leave for a weekend, so all of my shows have to be within driving distance (three hours max).

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yeah, Linda, I guess that's what happens when you are competing at higher levels that start earlier. It would be great if that were us, I was thinking today, because just like the airlines, as the day goes on things get further and further behind. By the time they get to Novice you're two hours past when you were *supposed* to start. > But, you're right, if you're traveling it means you have to get up at dawn's crack.

We are going to be giving up weekends for the entire month of March, it looks like. But they are all very close, so I almost feel like we have to do it...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

That is one of the reasons I so carefully choose what shows and trials I go to. I know people who are gone every weekend showing and competing. I do take stuff for me to eat and I do work right away on getting them use to me leaving them in the crate. Caleb was quite the cry baby when I would leave him but it is much better. I don't allow play time before I leave. Lew knows that and respects that--don't want to have to clean up dog(s) too. Unlike Linda, if the trial is too far away I do spend the previous night since most of the time it is just me and Caleb going together. Often I don't do the full weekend, either--I try to keep most Sundays to spend with Lew since we work opposite schedules. I have just learned to pace myself.

So, it is 6:04 a.m. :P and I am heading up to take my shower so we can leave for South Carolina--I don't do that many shows that far away, either! ;D
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    I know people who are gone every weekend showing and competing.
    That's us! ;D Show season is Sept-Mar here so I'm gone just about every weekend except Christmas. If it isn't obedience for AKC or ASCA, it's agility for AKC, NADAC, or USDAA.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    So...does doing shows really kick your ass?
    Oh yeah! I always feel like my butt has been kicked after a show. I feel it even more when it wasn't a productive weekend (no Qs). I usually compete in more than one event (usually obedience and agility) and I also make sure my daughter is ready for her class (potty the dog, practice, walk the course correctly, etc) so I'm never sitting down.

Two day shows are bad enough but 3 and 4 days shows are even worse. I could sleep for a week afterward if they would let me.

The 3 day show a couple of weeks ago was the worst I've felt in a long time. First it was a long drive to/from the site each day (1/2 way to CA). Fri required driving thru rush hour traffic both ways and since my daughter wasn't showing (she was in school), I couldn't use the carpool lane. It was rainy, freezing cold, and really windy so the cold went to your bones which takes a lot out of you even without adding in a dog show. The kicker was after 3 days of showing in this mess, my SU had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to go to the gym when I got home on Sun. : I just glared at him. He's very lucky to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Yeah, Linda, I guess that's what happens when you are competing at higher levels that start earlier.
    Even better. Finally make it the higher levels so you don't have to spend your entire day at a dog show only to get your child involved in Novice levels so now you spend the ENTIRE #$&@*)#[email protected] day there.

I usually am pretty tired after a show. Especially now that I am showing 2-3 dogs. I am a TOTAL weenie when it comes to getting up in the morning. I would much rather get a motel room if I have to spend more than a couple hours driving, especially if it is a two day show.

I am fortunate in that ther eare plenty of shows in southern Michigan, so I really never have to go too far, whether AKC or UKC. Especially nice are those held in my training building! The UKC Premier has their obedience trials right in the same ring we train in! (only 25 minutes from my house)

What beats me up is the constant worrying about my dog. She wasn't very dogshow compatible at first. She would bark everytime I was near her and she was in her crate. Its pretty bad when you have to avoid your own dog at a dogshow.!! I finally had enough at an agility show and we had it out. My friends had an enclosed canopy and everytime she would bark I would open the crate and grab her cheeks and stare/glare into her eyes for about 2-3minutes. It took about a show and a half but she doesn't bark at shows anymore. And now that she doesn't bark at shows I am much more relaxed at shows. When i am relaxed at shows I do better and my dog does better. It sounds strange but if i have all the minor things under control then the major things don't upset me.
    On a side note I tried a really lightweight foldable crate and Amber decided it was like a gerbil ball and was walking it around just fliping it onto one side then the roof then the next side etc. So back to our big heavy foldable crate.

Kelly and Amber

patm is offline Senior Member

I realize that I didn't answer your question Connie. I was replying to the post in LC. I havne't shown all that much yet, but I am always tired after I spend a day doing ANYTHING that involves driving and/or being up all day without being able to rest some. I also look for shows within driving distance - although my limit is 2.5 hours. I don't think the actual shows and showing exhaust me though. I have found so far that I really enjoy the whole atmosphere and I only have 1 dog to deal with. I mentally know that I have to drive home afterward, so I think that I don't let myself get too tired feeling until I get home. Right now though, we are attending 2 classes a week , with almost 4 hours of driving involved after working all day, and I just took an hour nap and feel like crap right now. I am hepped up after getting home from class and didn't got to bed until midnight last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast