Not only was I PMS'ing last night...mini rant

Thread: Not only was I PMS'ing last night...mini rant

DefaultNot only was I PMS'ing last night...mini rant

but the instructor seemed to be (anonymously) using Hoss and I most of the evening as examples of things that needed to be corrected. (i.e. if your dog sit too far away at a front it may be because you spit food....) and not so anonymously..."See how Hoss paces when at heel, it makes the dog less able to turn" etc., etc. "You need to go faster, and he'll trot" (In a pig's eye, not on my dislocating knees and pigeon toed feet.) Cripes I didn't know he paced....doesn't in the conformation ring. And here I was admiring his attention (which is fantastic, he always has his eyes glued on my face). If I backed off/turned my head enough to watch for pacing she said I was not in position.

Never mind the signals he was doing across the ring, or the moving stand, or the leaping left finish that the people in this club insist on, or the fact that I FINALLY got him to give me absolute attention next to a Sheltie.....

SIGH...and to top it off as class ended, she ran her hands over everyone's dogs and said they were fat. Cripes, I can feel everyone of his ribs! No my lab is not built like her Tervs. (or whatever Beligan the short haired dogs are).

By the time I got home I had convinced myself he was not going to be an obedience dog. Ah, but today is another day, and back at we will go!

And now back to your regularily scheduled chat....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not only was I PMS'ing last night...mini rant

Ugh! :-X Well, we've had lots of those nights. Good for you for bringing him out of retirement this morning! Lord knows I've thought about retiring Angus more times than I can count, and he hasn't even stepped into an obedience ring at a trial yet. :P

See, now what's weird is, Simon sits too far away from me when coming to front. It's because of how he rocks back into a sit. Anyway, our instructor told me *to* spit treats when he comes in to prevent this. ???

Can't win!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean - I think everyone with a lab knows what you mean :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Karen, what a night you had! I would never do stuff like that to my students! I am so sorry! Actually, I use Caleb and me as examples and all the things we do and have done incorrectly!!! :P :
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

It took me so long to learn to trust myself about what was best for my dog. An instructor in Open used an ear pinch on her Tervs and told me to use it on Doro one night and only once did I. You would have thought he was being tortured - I don't think it hurt him as much as surprised and scared him. He is such a baby about some things and punishing him for not sitting squarely seemed like overkill. And guess what, he did learn how to do sits correctly without more ear pinching. The more I watch and try things, the more conviced I am that its beneficial to listen to what others suggest and give those suggestions a try IF you agree with them in principal but eventually you figure out what works for you and your pup. And once I watched some of these experts with their dogs, I knew I was right about not buying everything they said. My biggest mistake was letting Doro try an Agility Dog Walk when in my heart I knew he wasn't ready for it. He fell off, wasn't hurt, but never recovered from his scare and that really ended our Agility career. I know I can blame no one but myself and I never again let anyone tell me what to do when it was a situation where my dog could be hurt. Live and learn but it was a tough lesson.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
    And guess what, he did learn how to do sits correctly without more ear pinching.
    An ear pinch to sit correctly?! Was it the lady with the Turvs who got excused at Cleveland All-Breed? That isn't the way to teach a straight sit!!! You have got to be kidding!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

I can't believe she used an ear-pinch for sitting! I know a lot of people use them for teaching a "forced retrieve", but that's the only thing I've heard them used for. Emilu doesn't tolerate it either.

Wow, I've never heard of an ear pinch for a square sit either! I know Hoss would never understand what was going on and that would certainly set him back in training! (He's a VERY sensitive guy)

While I know the things she was critqueing were 'sloppy' (fronts for example), I just wish she had said "something" positive during the lesson (about anything). For me at least, just an occaisional "good job!" is much more motivating than constant put downs.

The instructors on Saturday's classes always have something positive to say, and I can hardly wait to get there and show the progress we have made in Kodi's go-outs. And even though Hoss has made only a tiny progress in a good dumbell 'hold', I am much more apt to ask for help from them than the instructor in Hoss' Wednesday class. (He is in classes three nights a week)

Ah well, if nothing else, I learn from these kind of instances about good and 'not so good' ways to instruct and teach others.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Susan - The answer to your question is yes. To be fair - that was a long time ago and maybe I used a bad example but she used the ear pinch for more than a retrieve. Doro had issues but retrieving was never one of them. To this day I use retrieving something as a warm up to work or just for fun and that's why I know retrieve a dumbbell or practically anything and even bringing it back was never a problem. The trick was occasionally he would stop just out of reach and play the I have it - you want it but I'm not giving it to you - game.

In the days of when I first started training I lacked the confidence to disagree with a trainer that I didn't know very well. Now I know I have to be the advocate for my dog and not do something that could prove to be detrimental to what I want to accomplish. I am so glad to read everyone's posts because clearly there is lot of experience out there but also wonderful awareness of what each dog is and how each dog should be treated. There is so much to learn but the people I have respected the most are the ones who take the time to ask - how do you think you and your dog can accomplish this new challenge. I realize not everyone has the time or the interest to do this, but instructors who include you in the training approach seem to be well respected and successful and are usually the ones you feel like you've really learned something from.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

I just can't get over an ear pinch to straighten sits! That just blows my mind! It's been fun, cause a couple of times I knew I was right about Caleb with my instructers (you know who) and they initially disagreed with me but after seeing him in the ring they knew I was correct in what I thought to be going on--so even the best of us make mistakes once in a while! The thing is if we are willing to admit we were wrong. They did and we have come a long way. Now they just to say they have been right about a lot of other things with Caleb and his "issues." But, then again my dog is probably the only one with "issues." :
    Susan

www.labmed.org