Interesting observation
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting observation

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultInteresting observation

I was at the Piedmont Specialty this weekend and actually helped steward the Rally trial. I was amazed at how bad the handling was in Rally. Now, I'm not talking about dogs having issues but handlers who obviously did not know the rules and many in Rally Novice from watching the performance should not have been in the Novice ring. Granted it was a Specialty but I have noticed lately some really bad handling in Rally Novice and Novice obedience. Aren't people reading the rulebook? Aren't they getting instruction? Man, my people think I set up hard courses and question them taking a test on the rules and regulations. But, their success rate is very high and that is what it is about for them--help them succeed in the ring.

Ok, I'll quit
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

One thought--I don't want Betsy or Susan thinking I was refering to them. I was not, ok! I'll be really bad--it was mostly people who were in the breed ring. So many think rally is a walk in the park and don't prepare.

I was at a show recently here in Ohio and in the Novice B ring people were heeling with their hands behind their backs and doing all kinds of weird stuff.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

I noticed some people in the Rally ring doing weird handling too..I literally saw one woman with a doxie bend over leading the dog around the whole course..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I agree Susan. Again its one of those things that people think its so easy, and they'll get a title. They get a title, but barely passing.

Ruby scored 100 (98 once in Advanced) most times and was quick about it, but we over prepared. A team doing it well looks like a beautiful thing really.

While I don't put much weight on the value of a rally title, I do think its just a fun way to get a dog 'into' the obedience ring, and I'm actually quite happy the breed people are in there at all, if you catch my drift.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

I agree Melissa. I don't hold a lot of stock in Rally titles but they do certainly help attitude. I know Caleb would not have gotten his UD much less his UDX had I not put him back into rally. Micah will come out in the fall. It is suppose to be a place to bring out green dogs and help them get use to the ring before going on to obedience. Micah's attention is getting better but we sure have a long way to go!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Well, I put some stock in MY rally titles, because we worked for them and did very well. I guess maybe a rally title in general can be gotten with less "work" than an obedience title, but it not "nothing". I do agree however that people seem to enter rally thinking they can "bluff their way through it" and that pisses me off. I think that you should basically "know the rules" for anything that you do (not just dog shows). I had a friend from my breed club who called me last year to ask about rally. She was thinking about entering her dog (who washed out in conformation) in rally because she wanted to do something with her. The dog had no obedience experience except in the breed ring, the gal had no idea what rally was, but even after I explained it all to her, and didn't recommend they enter for a show in a few weeks, she stated that she was pretty good at "winging it" and thought she would enter anyways. I was pretty upset about it - after all, it's "my thing" and someone else taking it so lightly annoyed me. I actually don't know if she ever entered her dog or not because I haven't spoken to her since then (not because of that, she was a "club friend" and I no longer belong to the club) And while I like the idea of breed people getting involved in obedience, I want them to take whatever level they are doing seriously and put some thought and work into it. I do agree that alot of people shouldn't be getting the scores they do in rally. It's alittle harder to NQ in rally, because in obedience you have to get at least half the points in each exercise to qualify, while in rally, that would be too hard to judge. I would like to see rally taken more seriously though. And when Emilu and I get our RAE - don't anyone dismiss it as "too easy"

It's not that I don't put stock in them, but compared to a CD, the RN isn't close to comparing. And most breed people are treating the RN like it's a CD. A CD is more difficult than even the RAE, which is what it was intended to be. I will be using the rally classes to get Micah ready for obedience. It just torques me when people think they can go into rally without any prep or without even reading the rules. Pleeze!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I never took Rally too seriously I had a friend give me two lessons and I spent maybe a total of 3 hours practicing it. Amber was 3 for 3 in Novice and 4 for 4 in Advanced I think we had 5 first and one second and one fourth, our lowest score was an 89 because I screwed up a moving down by not pausing long enough and her elbows didn't touch the ground. Obedience was much tougher and took 100's of hours to train just for a CD.
    The worst performance I saw someone do in Rally Novice had 18 points off for a tight leash and 10 points off because the dog didn't know a stand and had an IP.
    Kelly and Amber.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Susan, I think it's the folks from the breed ring that just enter and they are totally clueless. There was a young junior handler there, and obviously her mother put her in the class. I watched her and most of the time she was on the wrong side of the signs.

Rally Novice was never meant to be equal to CD, so you can't make that comparison. I USED to think Rally was silly, until I realized what a valuable tool it is for training and keeping your dog's attitude up in the ring. It's invaluable to me.

And, with Remington (my special needs child) we've worked hard on those Rally legs and titles. Now that he's through Advanced we need to hold him back from advancing because he's focus just isn't there (and maybe it never will be).

What I strive for in Rally with Ruger is to get perfect scores. I've gotten four 100's with him on our venture to an RAE, and the other scores have all been high 90's. He enjoys it, and that's part of the game as well.

For beginners I think Rally is a good starting point to learn to work with their dogs.

I too make very difficult courses for my students (in rally AND in agility). I often hear my students comment that a novice course is easy at the shows

I'm with you Linda! My students complain about how hard my courses are until they get into the ring and then the course is so easy for them. Goes back to that make your training so challenging that the ring looks easy.

We all know it is not meant to be equal. But there sure are folk out there who treat it as such! Geez!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast