Show results - Day 3 pix included for Linda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show results - Day 3 pix included for Linda

DefaultShow results - Day 3 pix included for Linda

Ugh... That's all I have to say about Sun. j/k

It was freezing again on Sun. It was 19 degrees (yes 19 in sunny AZ) for the poor Open people at 8:00. It was just barely above freezing when we showed at 10:45.

Thank God I was smart enough to wear long underwear, a t shirt, a sweater, and my ski jacket. ;D I had to take off my jacket and gloves to show though. BRRRR.

As soon as we entered the ring the judge said "This is Lab weather. You should do well." I said "cold weather makes Labs feel really good so if you mean "do well" as in "feel frisky" we shouldn't disappoint." She laughed and told me she owns Labs. :-\ Great! I knew then she was going to be expecting a lot from us. Nothing like an little added pressure.

We did not do well. A bunch (meaning about 10) of my "friends and acquaintances" decided to stand right outside the ring and chat LOUDLY while we were in the ring. Murray was more interested in them than me since they seemed to be laughing and having fun. > They were so distracting that the judge even asked "do you know those people?" One of my training buddies told them to be quiet or to move away from the ring but they didn't budge.

Our scores went like this:

Signals NQ (no down)
    Scent Disc #1 29.5/30
    Scent Disc #2 29/30
    Directed Ret NQ (wrong glove)
    Moving Stand 28.5/30
    Directed Jumping NQ (auto jumping)

My daughter (who is usually a very good photographer) took some pictures. Before I went in the ring she said "won't the baby gates be in the way?" I told her no of course I was assuming she would STAND UP to take the pix. She sat in a chair at our setup the entire time. :

We started the heeling pattern right towards my friends. I lost Murray on the heeling on the about turn since he really wanted to join them. Thankfully the judge called a halt after the about turn so Murray finally caught up. The rest of the heeling was nice since it was at the other end of the ring.

The mushroom cloud over my left shoulder in the first picture was a sign of things to come.

Murray sat on the down signal so all the pressure was off now. All I wanted then was decent go outs.

Down or possibly the sit signal...who knows.

A straight finish. YEA!

Both articles were awesome even though we were facing our friends while scenting the articles. They were making faces at me trying to make me laugh. I didn't laugh and it broke my concentration. :-\ I was worried that Murray would not pivot with me but he did. He really loves this exercise. Oh and my hands didn't freeze to the metal article and Murray's tongue didn't stick either. ;D Yes I was concerned about both happening.

We got glove #3 AGAIN. I'm really beginning to hate this glove. We had a very nice pivot. Murray immediately locked onto glove #3 but just as I said the "f" in "fetch" he glanced at glove #2 so that's exactly where he went. > He returned to me just as happy as could be. I scowled at him.

Moving stand was good but he moved a front foot as the judge started to go over him (he was off balance). I wasn't sure she saw it until I got our score.

Hmmm...nice butt, Murray! ;D

He went out and sat both times on the directed jumping so we have a break thru. Unfortunately he still broke to take the jumps before I sent him. > I heard the people behind me (stewards, audience, etc) groan then say "he did that all weekend". I guess we're famous for screwing up the DJ now.

We have 2 matches next weekend but I can't for the life of me remember if I sent in our entries. I sent out about 7 show entries at one time so I'm hoping the match entries were in the same pile. I'll be calling the show secretaries this week to find out. I already looked in my check book but I have duplicate checks and I can't read anything except my name. : Sometimes it really sucks to be blonde.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Show results - Day 3 pix included for Linda

Lydia - You should be a comedy writer. I knew I was in for a treat when I read the mushroom cloud comment. Murray looks like a GREAT dog and he seems to enjoy an audience. Are you sure those people making all the commotion are your friends? I have to say that with labs in Utility it seems like they are almost perfect with hardly any points off or the exercise is an NQ. Don't know if that's good or bad.
    Anyway - keep writing these great reports. I am laughing with you.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry that things didn't go better, but great report, anyway! Very funny.

Murray: "I am so reporting you to the AKC for harassment."

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lydia, I am so sorry! As a suggestion for the directed jumping--I have someone yelling jumps, fruit whatever and proofing Caleb to stay until I signal him. He was beginning to go on the judge's command at a few run thrus.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Okay, so what was the Mushroom cloud?

Sorry you didn't have a good run. I don't know about you, but I figure Ruger will be very old and grey before we finish this

Quote Originally Posted by raian

I don't know about you, but I figure Ruger will be very old and grey before we finish this
    Hey, let's us both think positive about our next runs! I'll bring my camera, too so we can get some pictures of our boys in the Utility ring. I'm really excited. Praying the weather co-operates!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Susan, I actually hope it's cold. Ruger does much better in the cold than hot.

Lydia, in that first shot, are you giving a "heel" signal with your right hand??? Or are you just moving your arm out in stride? It looks to me like a "heel" signal and I'm wondering as to why you give it with the right vs the left hand.

Susan, I actually hope it's cold. Ruger does much better in the cold than hot.
    I don't mind it being cold I just don't want snow going through those mountains of West Virginia and Virginia! Cold I can deal with!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    [color=blue]As a suggestion for the directed jumping--I have someone yelling jumps, fruit whatever and proofing Caleb to stay until I signal him.
    Yeah that would be nice to try IF he sat long enough for someone to get a word out. He doesn't break in practice...only at shows and rarely on any word from the judge(because he doesn't wait long enough for her to even get a word out). He just "assumes" he knows what comes next and we all know what happens when one ASSUMES.

Okay, so what was the Mushroom cloud?
    It's steam (hopefully) from Palo Verde Nuclear power plant (the largest in the US). It is just 15 miles from the show site.

Lydia, in that first shot, are you giving a "heel" signal with your right hand???
    OK...I'm blonde but I'm not THAT blonde. I signal heel with my left hand like most people. I just lift it off my stomach pointing forward. It's very subtle because Murray moves as soon as my left foot moves so I have to be really conscious to move hand and foot together. This picture was taken almost at the end of the heeling pattern. We had just completed an about turn and were heeling straight at a normal pace to the center for a "left turn/stand your dog" for signals. I was glancing at Murray to make sure he wasn't forging for the left turn.

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Murray: "I am so reporting you to the AKC for harassment."
    Funny you should say that. Murray HATES this exercise. He always looks so indignant when the judges go over him. "Mom...she TOUCHED me! " It's really hard not to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
    Are you sure those people making all the commotion are your friends?
    Well that's why I put it in parenthesis. They are show friends...meaning fellow competitors and judges...in other words...they know better. I don't think they realized how obnoxious they were being. I really don't think they would have been bugging me with the articles if Murray hadn't already NQd...at least I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
    I have to say that with labs in Utility it seems like they are almost perfect with hardly any points off or the exercise is an NQ.
    Very true. When I was first training utility, my training buddy said not to worry because once Murray gets an exercise, he does not forget it.

I forgot to mention that one person Qd on Sun w/her Aussie and it was their title. We all celebrated. When I congratulated her she said "yep...it only took 3 yrs and 1 Q/yr to get the title." Ugh...I hope I don't have to wait that long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast